Sound Devices USBPre 2
The Sound Devices USBPre 2 is a high quality, two channel audio interface perfect for on the go recording. Works seamlessly with Mac and Windows recording systems. Can be used as a USB interface, or as a stand-alone unit.
Using the same preamps as their 744T digital portable interface, USBPre-2 ensures professional quality recordings for any situation. USBPre-2 is equipped with a pair of fully discrete, transistor-based XLR inputs, additional inputs for line-level sources, as well as S/PDIF, all running through 24-bit converters that are capable of up to 192 kHz sample rates. Each channel has 114 dB of dynamic range, and is equipped with phantom power, high pass filters, and a 15 dB pad.
A 23-segment, multicolor LED meter provides a great visual of your input and output levels, ensuring you the best possible recording.
- Extended bandwidth, low-noise microphone preamplifiers with 48 V phantom, limiters, high-pass filters, and 15 dB pad
- Dynamic range greater than 114 dB (in 24-bit operation)
- Flat 10 Hz to 40 kHz (@96 kHz SR) audio bandwidth with very low distortion
- Each input individually selectable between microphone, line, and aux level signals (both channels selected simultaneously for S/PDIF connections)
- Precision, 23-segment, multicolor LED peak/VU meter, selectable between input and output sources
- High-output headphone amplifier can drive a wide range of headphones
- Balanced outputs on XLR connectors with dedicated level control can be used to drive line- or mic-level inputs
- Mix control enables zero-delay monitoring of source audio, computer audio, or a mix of both source and computer audio for multitrack recording or computer telephony
- Phono (RCA) jacks connect Aux Output to external loudspeakers or preamplifiers
- Bus powering via USB for convenient, single-cable connection to the computer
- In Stand-Alone mode the USBPre 2 operates as a microphone preamplifier and analog-to-digital converter
- Hardware loop-through for test & measurement to send computer audio directly back to an input
- High-strength extruded aluminum chassis
- Mac OS X 10.4+, Windows XP/Vista/7, and Linux, class-compliant audio device
- Additional features controlled by hardware DIP switches on the back panel
|Input Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, Analog XLR, Digital RCA, Optical, RCA|
|Output Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, Analog XLR, Digital RCA, Optical, RCA|
|Number of Preamps||2|
|Maximum Sampling Rate||192 kHz|
We in public radio love Sound Devices. All the in-house NPR Tiny Desk concerts, for example, are captured on Sound Devices gear. For several years we recorded our voiceover tracks to an SD702, but when it came time to upgrade our computer interface, the USBPre 2 was the natural choice as it sounds the same. For several years now, it has been the heart of our daily production rig for tracking, monitoring and mixing. Everything about it feels mil-spec so whether it's here in the studio, at a music festival or in my bag halfway around the world, I can always count on it to connect and perform at the highest level. We alternate between using the excellent internal mic pres and a Manley Core channel strip, and it's easy to toggle between with just a push of a button. We also use the tc electronic Clarity-M Loudness meter which sits perfectly atop the USBPre2 and patches in directly via SPDIF. There are plenty of beautiful interfaces out there these days, but nothing else has made us want to swap out this flexible, reliable, clean sounding unit.
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Sound Devices USBPre 2.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields