Royer Labs R-122V Ribbon Microphone - Tube Version
Same large-ribbon transducer as R-121 and R-122, but hotter
A limited production vacuum tube studio ribbon microphone, the R-122V utilizes the same large-ribbon transducer assembly that is found in the R-121 and R-122 Active Ribbon microphones - providing a familiarity of sonic performance associated with the R-Series microphones. The R-122V exhibits a flat frequency response and a well-balanced sound field, and provides an output of -29dB, which is approximately 25dB hotter than an R121. Like its predecessors, the R-122V's ability to withstand high SPL levels makes it well suited for applications that were previously considered off limits to ribbon microphones.
Exceptionally high SPL handling capacity
The R-122V's offset-ribbon design positions the ribbon element toward the front of the microphone body. This design enables high SPL handling on the front (logo) side of the instrument, with the option of a slightly brighter response when recording via the microphone's back side (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position).
Military-grade 6AU6 tube
The R122V's active electronics utilize a NOS (new old stock) U.S. built military 6AU6 vacuum tube and Royer's proprietary toroidal ribbon matching transformer (patent pending). A Jensen 8:1 ratio output transformer provides an electrically isolated, fully-balanced output signal. The R-122V can drive virtually any preamplifier and long cable runs (from power supply to preamp) with ease. The active circuitry provides optimum impedance to the ribbon element at all times, preventing over-damping of the ribbon element and assuring consistent microphone performance. The R-122V receives an extensive burning in procedure to assure proper settling of the vacuum tube.
Royer Labs 122V Tube Ribbon Microphone Features:
- Takes the Royer pioneered concept of active ribbon microphone technology to another level
- incorporates vacuum tube electronics into the proven transducer system used in the venerable R-121 and R-122 active series microphones
- High operating voltage of the tube provides a headroom capability far beyond that capable from a standard phantom supply
- A panoramic sound field that is unmatched for its clarity, detail and airiness
- Triode-configured cathode follower circuitry enables the microphone to drive long cable runs without sonic degradation or high frequency loss
- Dedicated power supply provides ample current to the vacuum tube electronics
- Induced noise is virtually eliminated by microphone's fully balanced output that is electrically isolated with a special purpose Jensen output transformer
- The head amplifier consists of a low-noise, triode-connected military grade 5840 vacuum tube
- Ultra-fast transient response devoid of typical vacuum tube coloration
- Circuity is conservatively rated to perform flawlessly for many years
|Package Contents||Includes dedicated power supply, 7-Pin microphone cable, AC line cord, protective wooden case, protective mic sock, RSM-1 shock-mount, camera style carrying case, instructions and documentation|
|Unit Weight||0.66 lb|
|Tube or Solid State||Tube|
|Polar Pattern||Bi-Directional / Figure-Eight|
|Number of Microphones||Single Microphone|
|Frequency Range||30 Hz - 15 kHz|
|Sensitivity||-36 dBV/Pa (15.8 mV)|
|Max. SPL||135 dB|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Royer Labs R-122V Ribbon Microphone - Tube Version.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields