Drawmer 1973 Stereo 3-Band FET Compressor
Expanding on the renowned range of dynamics processors Drawmer designed an affordable three band stereo FET compressor that every engineer will totally appreciate - the Drawmer 1973. The culmination of 30 years of development and experience, the 1973 combines the functionality and control of the world class Drawmer S3 with the familiarity and quality of the illustrious 1960 and 1968, providing three bands of transparent, intuitive compression for the price of a conventional single full band compressor.
The 1973 comprises a set of crossover filters that splits your audio signal into three frequency bands. Each split signal then passes through its own compressor and is independently adjusted, after which the signals are recombined and the final wet/dry mix and levels can be adjusted. The advantage is that one band's compression has no affect on the others.
This, along with other features, allow the 1973 to pull off amazing feats that a single-band compressor could never accomplish. For example, it can easily prevent an acoustic guitar, cello or double bass from sounding boomy on low notes without thinning the highs.
If you find yourself recording a vocal track that sounds too shrill, the 1973 allows you to easily alter the timbre without eliminating detail and clarity. Adding heavier compression in the bass band can add to the thickness and richness of the voice. Raspiness is controlled in the mid band. Finally, compression to the high band can give sizzle and definition to an otherwise bland voice. Sibilance can also be easily tamed.
In a mastering situation, having independent control over each band can resolve a problem mix, pulling out individual instruments, brightening the brilliance/air or making the bottom end of a mix sound huge while simultaneously avoiding "pumping" or "breathing" artifacts and increasing headroom.
- Standard intuitive controls such as threshold, gain, switched attack and release with gain reduction metering on each band
- Fast reacting soft knee FET design with excellent left/right tracking across the full range of compression
- Variable wet/dry mix, plus output gain knobs give a 'Parallel Compression' function without the need for external mixing devices, providing complete and effortless control over the amount of compression used and output levels
- Variable band split filters at a 6dB per octave slope with switchable mute and bypass on each band make tuning in to a frequency simple
- ‘Big’ and 'Air' modes help to preserve the very deep lows and enhance the sparkling highs
- Two analogue VU meters with switchable +10dB meter rescale modes and a switchable ‘Peak’ mode to display fast transients not normally seen on conventional VUs
- Dedicated gain reduction meters on each band
- Internal low hum toroidal linear power supply with voltage selector switch
- Classic Drawmer build quality with rugged steel chassis and aluminium front panel
|Tube or Solid State||Tube|
|Input Connectors||Analog XLR|
|Output Connectors||Analog XLR|
This is not only the best bang-for-your-buck hardware multiband compressor, but the controls are intuitive. I was considering spending a few thousand more for one the "better" ones, but I couldn't make sense of the controls for the life of me. This works as you'd expect. Crossover frequencies to set your bands, and typical Drawmer compressor controls (that is everything except Ratio-- the ratio is affected by the threshold). I was worried from my experience with the 1960 that it might impart too much a dark sound to use it in certain applications (especially the 2bus) but that doesn't seem to be the case. There is definitely a tiny bit of warmth added, but nothing that's going to make your mix sound like the presence got sucked out of it. Oh, i should also add... the first one I got had the smallest defect and VK was super helpful and expedient in getting it replaced for me! New one was 100% and I couldn't be happier with my customer experience. Thanks, VK!
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Drawmer 1973 Stereo 3-Band FET Compressor.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields