Weiss A1 500 Series Microphone Preamp/De-Esser
- Transformer-balanced, discrete class A design
- Current-feedback amplifier architecture for low distortion and wide bandwidth across the full gain range
- Very low noise for a wide range of source impedances and across the full gain range
- 15 dB to 60 dB gain, 3 dB steps
- 20 dB pad to accommodate line levels
- Extensive metering
- Switchable to 40 Hz, 80 Hz or off
- 2nd order Butterworth design
- Advanced mixed signal design: direct signal path fully analog, side chain digital
- Precision low distortion MDAC as the variable gain element
- Low latency side chain with 500 kHz sampling rate
- Frequency, bandwidth and threshold front panel controls
- Further parameters (ratio, attack and release time) via DI switches
- Transformer balanced design
- Level control
- Polarity switch
- High maximum output level (+27 dBu) and output current
|Tube or Solid State||Solid State|
|Module Type||500 Series|
|Module Slot Count||1 Slot|
One word..... CLEAR! High headroom and great presence evenly across the frequency range! The desser is probably the best when it comes to hardware units and definitely the best as it relates to the 500 series format. Think GML mixed with a pinch of Avalon M5 (Open Top End)with a extremely small sprinkle of Neve (transformers). There's 2 Lundalh Transformers on here so it adds a nice touch of color to give some weight but its not over bearing. This is the most open and full sounding mic pre I've ever heard in the 500 series format.
Outstanding product. I bought this because I had heard the de-esser portion was second-to-none. That’s an understatement. Even though you can’t bypass the pre, it’s clean enough to pad down and use at line-level. Though the pre is fantastic and totally capable of standing on its own, I’m using my John Hardy and several 500-series modules before the Weiss. As a de-esser, it’s amazingly transparent. It’s better than any hardware or software unit I’ve found. Even really clamping the sibilance, it never gets that dull lispy quality caused by pretty much all other de-essers. Using more moderate settings, I find it to be just as good as manually attenuating individual sounds.
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Weiss A1 500 Series Microphone Preamp/De-Esser.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields