To inquire if this item is available in one of our stores, please call 888.653.1184 or chat with us.
Warm Audio WA-2A Tube Opto Compressor
No plug-in or other compressor type quite compares to the warm, forgiving, fluid qualities of the classic '2A optical compressor. For decades, the renowned ‘2A style circuit has become the go-to device for seamlessly handling vocals, bass, and a wide variety of other instruments and program material in an effortlessly smooth way. Releasing the Warm Audio WA-2A Tube Opto Compressor would be for nothing if Warm couldn’t make it affordable. Since the start of Warm Audio, they have striven to give unprecedented value by putting high end audio within the reach of more people than ever before.
The WA-2A is a high-voltage, Class-A opto-compressor, utilizing large-core CineMag USA Transformers, four premium vacuum tubes, and the legendary Kenetek opto-cell - considered by many to be the world’s finest.
A Four Tube Operation
The WA-2A operates on four tubes: two 12AX7s, one 12BH7, and one 6AQ5 (or 6P1J). Warm proudly use Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix brand tubes in the signal path, which sound very 'open' and LARGE. All 4 tubes are socketed for easy swapping and replacement.
- Tube compressor
- Utilizes premium grade input and output CineMag USA transformers
- USA made Kenetek opto-cell attenuator T4' style module - socketed To allow retro-fitting with other opto-cells
- Premium Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes - 2x 12AX7, 1x 12BH7, 1x 6AQ5 or 6P1
- Fully discrete signal path
- Variable pre-emphasis allows for compression high-pass filtering (tone control)
- Stereo-link capable via TRS connector
- Input impedance: 600 Ohms, Bridges-T Control (floating)
- XLR And TRS balanced line level outputs - 600 Ohms impedance
- XLR And TRS Balanced line level inputs - 600 Ohms impedance
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz to 20 kHz ±1 dB
- Gain: 40 dB, ±1 dB
- Input level: +16 dB maximum
- Output level: +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum
- Distortion: less than 0.1% THD at ±10 dBM
- Noise: -74 db
- Attack time: 10 mS
- Release time: 0.06 seconds for 50% release - 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release
- Meter displays both dB gain reduction and dB output
- Power: 115/230 Volts (switchable), 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions: 19" rack mount chassis, 2u 19" X 7" X 3.5"
|Unit Weight||12 lb|
|Tube or Solid State||Tube|
|Input Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, Analog XLR|
|Output Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, Analog XLR|
|Tube Complement||12AX7, 12BH7, 6AQ5|
My vocals immediately sounded better just by adding the WA2A to my signal chain.
Superb sound, especially for the price! I've only recorded rap vocals through it, but the first time I used it there was a BIG, instantly noticeable (and very desirable) difference from how my vocal recordings sounded before.
I've been using a Rode NT-2A (not my favorite mic, but the only one I've had lately, and it's decent) through a Warm Audio WA-12 preamp, through the WA-2A, into my recording interface. My vocal recordings sound "more pro" and require less mixing to achieve a good result, compared to when I was just using the Warm pre without the WA-2A.
I must have a slightly older model of the WA-2A, because it looks exactly the same and has all the same controls, but on mine the pre-emphasis and meter knobs are on the back of the unit. Which is funny, because that was my only complaint about this thing -- these knobs being on the back of the unit is inconvenient, and it seemed like there was room to put them on the front instead. Looks like Warm already fixed my only complaint!
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Warm Audio WA-2A Tube Opto Compressor.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields