Triad-Orbit Starbird SB-1 Studio Boom Microphone Stand
With the Triad-Orbit Starbird SB-1, Triad-Orbit Advanced Stand Systems has licensed the rights to the iconic Starbird studio boom stand from Manley Laboratories, Inc.
Those versed in the golden age of audio recording know George Starbird’s legendary Model No.180 studio boom stand has earned a place alongside the most revered vintage analog microphones, consoles and outboard gear of the era.
Starbird started Meletron Corporation in Los Angeles in 1939 to manufacture radio parts. He designed the Model 180 studio boom stand for large broadcast environments in the 1940s and recording studios soon discovered its unrivaled reach, range of motion and stability and adopted it as the large mic stand of choice.
Meletron turned its focus to manufacturing pressure sensitive mechanical switches for the lucrative aeronautics, military and industrial markets in the early 1950s and ceased operations in 1970.
Manley Laboratories, Inc., celebrated maker of professional studio and hifi audio equipment, purchased the tooling and trademark for the Model 180 in 1991 and produced an updated version of the Starbird in their California facility until 2010.
Now in its third iteration, Starbird by Triad-Orbit (T-O SB-1) incorporates patented T-O innovation to impart new levels of performance, versatility and stability to the storied Model 180 platform.
Most importantly, All Triad-Orbit Starbird stand base, boom swivel and clutch components retrofit to legacy Starbird stands.
- Heavier cast Iron base with 38" footprint and legs that swivel and tuck away under the base for a smaller footprint for storing the stand - the legs can also be used in offset positions to accommodate smaller rooms and tight spaces
- Larger Triad TC industrial grade dual-bearing, dual-locking studio casters
- Thicker 2 mm 6063 T5 Aluminum tubes
- Pneumatic auto lift / assisted lift in heavy situations - by releasing the mid clutch on the riser tubes the stand raises automatically with air-lift assist
- Stronger main swivel using tested technology from the Orbit 2 center swivel
- New Safety Stop Spring Pin System
- Adjustable positioned ballast counterweight that opens fully for adding optional shot bags for more weight.
- Triad-Orbit IO Quick-Change compatible and includes the OA ball joint for 360° of mic adjustment
- T.A.F. System: (Triad Air Force) is a patent pending pneumatic system that automatically and effortlessly raises T-O Starbird stands & booms
- StarBase Retractable Stand Base: massive cast iron base with retractable legs that pivot for optimum positioning and tuck away under the base for efficient storage
- BoomStop Safety Lock: pin locking mechanism that secures Starbird booms in any position, regardless of the weight suspended, for safe, worry-free operation
- VariBal Counter Ballast System: effortless, adjustable counterweight positioning and the ability to add additional ballast to the counterweight as needed
- Stand Height Range: 63 - 102 in (1.6 - 2.6 m)
- Boom Length Range: 55 - 98 in (1.4 - 2.5 m)
- Base Footprint Range: 18 - 38 in (46 cm - 98 cm)
- Stand Weight: 66 lb (30 kg)
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Triad-Orbit Starbird SB-1 Studio Boom Microphone Stand.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields