Fresh Deals Added Daily Shop Now
The Art of Recording a Big Band DVD – No Longer Available
The Art of Recording a Big Band was filmed at the famed Capitol Studios in Hollywood, California USA over two days during a master class by Al Schmitt featuring Chris Walden's 19-piece jazz big band. The film focuses on the legendary Al Schmitt, the most celebrated music engineer, producer and mixer of all time winning 22 GRAMMY® Awards. His most recent GRAMMY® came in 2012 for Paul McCartney's "Kisses on the Bottom"
During his career Al Schmitt has recorded and mixed more than 150 gold and platinum albums. Al Schmitt's credits include: Henry Mancini, Sam Cooke, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Sammy Davis, Jr., Natalie Cole, Thelonious Monk, Elvis Presley, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, and many more.
This educational and inspirational documentary includes interviews with Al's longtime partner Steve Genewick as well as Chris Walden, Dave Pensado, Ryan Hewitt, Kenny Wild and a cameo appearance by engineer and mixer Andrew Scheps. Longtime friend and collaborator, Quincy jones provides a poignant open statement about the importance of "the person who captures the sound.”
Meet The Cast
- Al Schmitt is one of the most celebrated music engineers, producer and mixer of all time winning 21 GRAMMY® Awards.
- Steve Genewick is three time GRAMMY® nominated recording engineer, Steve Genewick, has over twenty five years of experience, both as a studio and live recording engineer.
- Chris Walden is a German composer, arranger, and conductor. He leads his own jazz big band, the Chris Walden Big Band, based in Los Angeles and was nominated six times for a Grammy award.
- Dave Pensado is a GRAMMY® Award-winning mix engineer. His career began in Atlanta in the 1970s and 1980s doing live and studio sound engineering.
- Ryan Hewitt is recording, mixing and producing projects by diverse artists such as the Avett Brothers, Sheryl Crow, Jamie Cullum, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Kenny Wild is a very active studio musician, working in TV, film, and with the Chris Walden Big Band.
- Paula Salvatore is one of the most respected in the recording community and has been the studio manager for Capitol Studios for over 20 years.
- Andrew Scheps is an engineer and mixer whose credits read like a who's who of popular music including; Adele, U2 and Johnny Cash.
- Chris Walden - Composer, arranger, and conductor
- Jeff Driskill - Saxes
- Bob Sheppard - Saxes
- Rob Lockart - Saxes
- Brandon Fields - Saxes
- Tom Peterson - Saxes
- Kim Richmond - Saxes
- Wayne Bergeron - Trumpet
- Kye Palmer - Trumpet
- Ron King - Trumpet
- Kevin Richardson - Trumpet
- Bob McChesney - Trombone
- Alex Iles - Trombone
- Paul Young - Trombone
- Rich Bullock - Trombone
- Andy Martin - Trombone
- Mitch Holder - Guitar
- Andrew Synowiec - Guitar
- Alan Steinberger - Piano/Keyboard
- Kenny Wild - Bass
- Ray Brinker - Drums
- M.B. Gordy - Percussion
- Courtney Fortune - Vocals
Directed by Shevy Shovlin
Produced by Shevy Shovlin, Al Schmitt, Steve Genewick, Ryan Hewitt
Edited by Robert Acevedo, Brian A. Petersen, Shevy Shovlin, Angel Martinez
Cinematography by Brian A. Petersen, Miles Bocianski, William Caleb Parker, Matt Plaxco, Brian Ulrich, Shevy Shovlin
Audio Recording by Robert Alexander, Steve Genewick, Shevy Shovlin
Music featured is from Chris Walden Big Band's album "Full-On"
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the The Art of Recording a Big Band DVD.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields