Steinberg UR242 USB Interface
The Steinberg UR242 offers musicians and producers far more than just a portable I/O device, or even an audio interface; the UR242 is a mobile production solution. That’s because it combines fantastic-sounding I/O and durability with advanced DSP-based FX that can be used with your DAW software, and that at a price point that is still easily affordable.
Built to impress
The UR242 offers a perfect balance between three vital factors: quality, portability and cost. First-class components and integrated DSP-powered FX engineered to fit into a small yet rugged interface at an eminently affordable price point — that’s the UR242.
Record vocals, guitars, MIDI gear and other audio equipment with up to 4 audio channels at once in pristine 24/192 quality, yet without making any compromises in terms of durability: full metal casing means the UR242 is ready for the rough and tumble of life of a mobile lifestyle. That could be between your recording studio and your hotel room, or between your home recording rig and your band’s rehearsal room: the UR242 offers the features and quality to manage a huge range of production situations.
Full integration with any DAW with dspMixFx
The UR series integrates seamlessly — as you’d expect — with Cubase, yet also with just about any DAW out there. Just like the 19" rack model in the UR range, the UR242 offers latency-free monitoring with DSP-powered FX thanks to the onboard SSP2 DSP chip and the latest dspMixFx technology. This gives you a fully integrated DSP-based monitoring setup wherever you are and with whichever DAW you use.
When running with Cubase, the UR242 no additional virtual mixer apps are required! All aspects of I/O handling and DSP management are handled directly from within Cubase. Once your UR242 interface has been installed, Cubase detects the device and automatically embeds it into the Cubase production environment.
Connect the UR242 to your iPad or even iPhone thanks to the Class Compliant mode. iOS music production apps like Steinberg’s iPad-based Cubasis are a perfect way to sketch out ideas at home or on the go; then hook up the same interface to your PC or Mac to take your musical ideas to the next level.
An exceptional portable production solution
With an impressive set of I/O capabilities for its size, advanced DSP-powered FX system, stellar audio components and compact dimensions, the UR242 is an exceptional interface that balances mobility with audio quality and advanced production features in a way unrivaled in its price range.
A pro studio at home
With DAWs, virtual instruments and boutique effect plug-ins offering unprecedented audio quality on even modestly priced laptops that’s on par with the most expensive studio, many musicians and producers require a compact, portable audio interface that offers functionality and sound quality to match. The UR242 comprises components and technologies of an exceptional standard for its class, offering the audio aficionado a moderately priced, mobile solution on a level with the extraordinary audio quality of today’s computer-based music production software.
The guitar and bass pro
Whether you’re laying down studio-quality guitar tracks or playing live through your laptop as a flexible digital guitar amp, the UR242 is optimized for guitarists. DSP powered virtual amp FX give you an amazingly lively, dynamic sound when monitoring — in zero latency. The Guitar Amp Classics FX suite offers four different analog amps to choose from, as well as full control over these startlingly realistic recreations of classic tube amps. The Hi-Z input on Channel 1 of the UR242’s two combo inputs lets you plug your electric guitar or bass straight into the interface, adapting the input to the high resistance of guitar signals. Add to this the great sound quality, rugged metal casing, full Cubase integration and easy install and set up, and it becomes clear why guitarists looking for a mobile solution for notebooks, Pads or even iPhones need look no further.
Keyboards and stage pianos
Keyboardists and players of digital or stage pianos requiring a mobile interface will find the UR242’s mix of features compelling. Two Line inputs and a MIDI port provide “in parallel” recording of the audio signal and MIDI data, ready for further editing or mixing inside your DAW or routing straight through to the main outputs and out to the FOH mixer at live gigs. And with the incredible level of audio and build quality for an interface in this price class, the UR242 offers a fully featured yet affordable solution for any discerning keyboard player or stage pianist — for live gigs, in the studio or at home.
Mobile recording of up to three musicians
Recording a small group or duet on a portable system — in studio quality — is one of the many tasks that the UR242 excels at. Set up a microphone for a vocalist and a guitarist, each singing or playing in front of a dynamic or condenser microphone, with a stereo pair of inputs available for a keyboard or stage piano. All three sources can be recorded at the same time in pristine quality with up to 24 bits and 192 kHz. The D-PRE mic preamp offers an incredibly transparent sound that can capture every last nuance of even the most delicate vocal performance or the most subtle instrument. And if your interface takes a couple of knocks while you’re setting up at the venue, no need to panic: the UR242’s metal casing and solid build quality can handle it.
Backing the band
Performers and bands often choose to enrich their live sound by running backing tracks from Cubase or other DAWs running on a notebook or by using an iPad or iPhone. Next to the audio tracks, MIDI data can be used to cue up lighting or other visual equipment that’s perfectly synchronized to the song. As a robust, high-quality mobile solution, the UR242 is the ideal interface for running pre-produced backing tracks out to the FOH mixer. Its ASIO, Core Audio and WDM drivers have been exhaustively tested to ensure flawless operation, even at low latencies or high bit and sample rates. The metal casing will withstand the inevitable knocks and scratches on stage, while the sturdy AC adapter means a rock-solid electricity supply for the audio hardware regardless of the power demands on the notebook’s internal USB. The UR242’s blend of reliability and stellar sound quality make it the perfect choice for bands and performers.
- 24-Bit/192 kHz: Top of the range converters provide a maximum sampling rate of 192 kHz and a resolution of 24 bits, delivering pristine audio quality
- Class A D-PRE mic preamps: Yamaha’s highly acclaimed D-PRE preamp delivers a truly transparent and beautifully detailed sound that is unrivaled in this product class
- Latency-free monitoring with FX: UR242 offers zero-latency monitoring with FX thanks to the included dspMixFx software with even tighter integration for Cubase owners with auto-setup, custom views, and much more
- Basic FX Suite: UR242 offers VST 3 versions of the onboard DSP plug-ins offering useful sound-shaping and FX tools: the Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip, the REV-X reverb and Guitar Amp Classics
- Rugged metal casing: Built to the most exacting standards by Yamaha’s experienced engineers, the UR242 is rugged enough to withstand all the rigors of the road
- Major recording software compatible: The UR242 is compatible with all major audio editing, mastering, and music production software supporting ASIO, Core Audio, or WDM standard
- iOS connectivity: UR242 offers connectivity with Apple’s iPad and iPhone, when paired with Steinberg’s iPad-based Cubasis music app or other iOS audio apps, the UR242 offers a portable and effortlessly intuitive production experience
- MIDI input & output: For utmost flexibility, the UR242 is equipped with a MIDI I/O — connect your synth, a drum trigger module or whatever MIDI device you prefer
- Loopback function: UR242 offers an easy way to streaming performances live to the internet, with incoming audio signals merged to the playback signal from Cubase or other DAWs inside the computer
- Cubase AI included: Based on the same core technologies as the popular Cubase DAW, Cubase AI offers an intuitive feature set for composing, recording, editing and mixing
- Cubasis LE included: Cubasis LE is a streamlined version of Steinberg’s popular iOS music production app, offering professional music production on your iPad
|Unit Weight||2.9 lb|
|Number of Inputs||4|
|Input Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, XLR Combo Jack TRS|
|Number of Outputs||2|
|Number of Preamps||2|
|MIDI Connections||In, Out|
|Maximum Sampling Rate||192 kHz|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Steinberg UR242 USB Interface.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields