SPL Gain Station 8 Mk2 – No Longer Available
The SPL GainStation8 is a superb studio or live front end providing the unsurpassed sound qualitites of exquisite, high-end analog—and exactly the kind of optimal input results needed in digital mixing. Its state-of-the-art design includes switchable pre-output stage peak and FET mode limiting, three input levels for microphone impedence matching, phase reversal, 50Hz high pass filter, 48-volt phantom power, source switching and variable-luminescence LED level indicators.
GainStation preamplifier stages are based on newly developed fully discrete components operating on a 60-volt rail. That doubles the voltage in traditional preamplifier designs, resulting in a superior 130dB dynamic range and an extraordinarily alive, detailed aural image.
The advent of digital recording and the fact that more and more material remains in the digital domain from start to finish have raised demands on preamplifiers. The GainStation 8 is predestined to act as a premium recording front end, ensuring that signals of all kinds are preamplified with the highest quality, whether as an alternative to existing console preamps or as a stand-alone solution between source and A/D converter.
The quality of your recordings has a major influence on the subsequent mixing process – good recordings require less processing in later stages. Improved transparence and understandability can be achieved with less equalization and compression if the signals are recorded optimally, often allowing individual signals to be mixed at lower levels without compromising their presence.
The GainStation 8 can also effectively improve live recordings and mixes. Particularly in live situations, microphone signals must often travel extremely long distances to reach the FOH or mobile console, resulting in high cable capacities, which can degrade and color the sound. In this application, we recommend placing the GainStation 8 on stage. This allows for short cable runs to the preamps, whereas the GainStation's gain structure and fast output stages can easily drive the longer runs that ensue.
- Frequency Range: 1Hz-310kHz (+/- 3dB, Clean Gain 30dB, Tube Gain off, Output Level 0dB)
- Frequency Range: 1Hz-125kHz (+/- 0.5dB, Clean Gain 30dB, Tube Gain 1dB, Output Level 0dB)
- THD+N: 0.00038% (Cl. Gain 24dB, T. Gain off, 20-22kHz, Outp. Level +6dB, +25dBu out)
- THD+N: 0.032% (Cl. Gain 23dB, T. Gain 1dB, 20-22kHz, Outp. Level +6dB, +25dBu out)
- S/N Ratio: -99.6dBu (Cl. Gain 10dB, T. Gain off, Output Level 0dB, 20-22kHz, A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: -94.6dBu (Cl. Gain 30dB, T. Gain off, Output Level 0dB, 20-22kHz, A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: -86.5dBu (Cl. Gain 20dB, T. Gain 10dB, Outp. Level 0dB, 20-22kHz, A-weighted)
- EIN: 128.4dB (Cl. Gain 60dB, T. Gain off, Outp. Level 0dB, 20-22kHz, A-weighted, 40Ohm)
- Dynamic Response: ›130dB (20-22kHz, A-weighted)
- CMRR: ›80dB (Cl. Gain 30dB, T. Gain off, 1kHz, Input -30dBu, Outp. Level 0dB)
- Max. Output Level: +34dBu
- Max. Input Level: +17dBu (Mic & Instrument Input)
- Input Impedance: ›1MOhm (Instrument Input)
- Output Impedance: ›75Ohm
- Slew Rate: ›40V/µs (Clean Gain 30dB, Tube Gain off, Output Level +6dB)
- Power Consumption: 140W (without converter)
- Weight: 6,3kg/13,86lb
- Weight Power Supply incl. cable: 5,3kg/11,66lb
|Tube or Solid State||Solid State|
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and, when SPL Gain Station 8 Mk2 becomes available, a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you.