Schoeps MK 41 Supercardioid Capsule
The MK 41 is strongly directional. Sound arriving from off axis is attenuated even more than with a cardioid. The pickup is “drier” and less susceptible to acoustic feedback than any other SCHOEPS capsule type (a loudspeaker should not be located directly along the rear axis of the microphone, however).
- Supercardioid with highly consistent directionality throughout its frequency range
- For music and speech
- High directivity, comparable to that of a short “shotgun“ microphone up through midrange frequencies
- Often preferred for use in film sound recording and as a spot microphone in orchestras
The Schoeps CMC 6 Amplifier is designed for standard 48- and 12-Volt phantom powering. Its circuitry recognizes the supply voltage and adjusts itself automatically. Its performance characteristics remain essentially the same either way; mainly, the difference is that the current drawn at 12 Volts is greater than at 48 Volts. However, the 12-Volt mode consumes less power and might be preferred for battery-powered recording.
- Flat frequency response
- Extremely low noise and distortion
- Balanced, very low-impedance output
- Can be used with very long cables
- Well-protected against RFI
- For use with 12- or 48-Volt phantom powering
The microphone amplifier provides the electrostatic charge which the capsule requires in order to produce a signal. Since only a minuscule amount of current is contained in this signal, amplification of the current is required. To avoid interference to the signal on the way from the microphone to the input of the mixer or preamp, the signal is conveyed at low impedance and in balanced form. The CMC 6 amplifier offers a symmetrical, transformerless, direct-coupled Class A output stage with low impedance, low distortion, and high freedom from interference.
The two amplifiers in a stereo pair of microphones should be of the same type. On request, Schoeps can select ”matched pairs” of capsules with equal sensitivity and frequency response for critical applications, at slight additional cost.