Royer Labs dBooster
The Royer R-DB20 dBooster is a phantom-powered ribbon and dynamic microphone signal booster and impedance buffer. It increases the level of passive low-output ribbon and dynamic microphones with a minimum of distortion or coloration. Designed for professional applications, the dBooster provides two levels of clean gain boost; 12 dB and 20 dB, selectable by a front panel switch. The dBooster maintains headroom and gain regardless of load. The Class A input circuitry presents a high source impedance to the microphone, which minimizes loading (damping). This reduces coloration and distortion while at the same time improving headroom. By utilizing the 12/20 dB gain switch, optimum balance between gain and headroom can be achieved for a variety of uses. The low-impedance output of the dBooster is an increased microphone-level signal that can drive a digital interface directly or a standard microphone preamplifier. It also minimizes signal loss on long cable runs.
- Miking any low-volume sound source (acoustic instruments, vocals, etc.)
- Recording direct to a DAW interface
- Use on long cable runs to retain sound quality
- 12 dB and 20 dB gain stages
- High input impedance
- Low output impedance
- Rugged case construction
- Ultra-low noise performance
- Ultra-low distortion
- Wide frequency bandwidth
- Safe for use on all ribbon mics
- Increases headroom at the preamp
- Provides true electrical isolation
- Protects ribbon mics from phantom-power
- Minimizes mic loading
- Capable of driving difficult loads, such as mic splitters and vintage style preamps, without increased distortion or loss of gain
- Gain: 12 dB or 20 dB switchable
- THD+N: @ 20 dB Gain = .0015%, -25 dBu input signal,
- 1.3Vp-p output signal; @ 12 dB Gain = .001%, -6Bu input signal,
- 3.66Vp-p output signal
- IM Distortion: @ 20 dB setting, <.002% @ 800 mV output,; @ 12 dB setting, <.005% @ 2.6 volts output
- Self-noise: referred to -48 dB re 1V/pa, 20 dB setting <11 dBa, 12 dB setting <15 dBa
- Headroom: referred to -48dB re 1V/pa and 4mV/pa, 20 dB setting: 127 dB, 12 dB setting: 120 dB
- Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz ±0.25 dB
- Input Impedance: 3.6K-Ohm
- Output Impedance: (at 20 dB setting) 300 Ohms
- Current draw: approximately 5 mA at zero signal and 7.5 mA at full output
- Input and output connections: Balanced XLR: (Pin 1 Ground, Pin 2 Signal Hot, Pin 3 Signal Cold)
- Power: 48-Volt phantom
- Dimensions: 3.62” (92 mm) L X 2.0” (51 mm) W X 1.62” (41.3 mm) W
- Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
Does exactly what it says it does; big improvement doing tape sync w/ the SM7b, haven't used it yet for music or with ribbons but I'll bet it's great!
Works great with my r84 ribbon.. having the selectable gain is a bonus since I don’t usually need 20db boost.. I haven’t compared other types but I’m happy with the sound.
Great with the Royer R-10 I purchased, great combo!
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Royer Labs dBooster.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields