API 1608 32-Channel Console Unloaded #540-0030 (Used)
The API 1608 is used in professional and project studios the world over, including Blackbird Studios in Nashville (who purchased the first one), and over a hundred others; from larger studios like Telefunken USA, Signature Sound, University of Michigan, and WAX Ltd ... to smaller project studios like Dan Auerbach's Akron Analog and Steve Miller's home studio. What these venues all have in common is a desire for simplicity, flexibility, reliability, and analog warmth, and they all get it with their API rig.
Numerous albums have been made on a 1608, including the Foo Fighters latest #1 record "Wasting Light" -- tracked and mixed in Dave Grohl's garage on an API 1608.
Building on API's rich heritage of extremely high quality recording consoles, we introduce the Model 1608, a full featured small format recording console based on the vintage API 1604 console, which has held its demand and value for over three decades.
The API 1608 gives all of the advantages of the 1604 Vintage Consoles while adding new, modern features valuable to today's Engineers, Producers and Musicians.
The 1608 is built to the same exacting API build standards as our Vision consoles, Legacy consoles, and modular products.
Excludes Sterling Modular OEM Legs, Producers Desk-Rack and Bolster Extension seen in photos.
- Headroom is +28dBU
- 32 channels mic/line
- 500 Series slot per channel (8 spare, can be normalled to FX return or patchable)
- 24 line return at stereo mix
- Access to stereo line in at mix
- Discrete classic 2520 op-amp design
- Legacy type logic throughout
- 8 buss
- 8 aux
- 8 FX return
- 5.1 monitoring
- 3 position speaker selector (dim, dim volume, mute, mono)
- Inserts on all input channels and mix buss
- Direct line inputs per channel like 512/3124+
- 16 channel expander (up to 32 channel total, links via Elco multipin)
- Dimensions: 38" wide x 34" deep x 18" high at meters
- Built like a tank
"Can you describe what’s balanced, what’s unbalanced, and what has transformers?"
- Line in: active balanced discrete API 2520 amplifier
- Pre-amp out transformer balanced
- EQ in is EQ dependent (the 1608 motherboards are setup to accept a 2510 balancing amp card which is NOT stock, as you would only want them if your EQ is unbalanced in): 560 is balanced, 550a is unbalanced, 550b is unbalanced.
- EQ out: transformer balanced
- Insert return: active balanced discrete API 2510 amplifier
- Direct out: transformer balanced
- Multi Bus Outs: transformer balanced
- Multi Bus to PGM Bus assign: Passive resistor balanced assign
- PGM summing amp outs: transformer balanced
- PGM Insert returns: active balanced discrete API 2510 amplifier
- PGM Outs: Transformer balanced
- Echo Sends: transformer balanced
- Echo Returns: active balanced discrete API 2510 amplifier
- CR outs: Transformer balanced
- Oscillator out: active balanced output
"Has the summing design changed? If so, why?"
The old 1604/2488 summing busses were not balanced, and therefore much noisier than the New 1608, so it's not the same as the old consoles, it's tons better (it's certainly not cheaper, it's more expensive, but it's the right thing to do...). The 1608 uses discrete 2520's and transformers for the summing amplifiers, just like all the old API's do, but with balanced summing buses.
The standard fit of a 1608 Console is:
- (16) 548B Inputs with Mic/Line and Direct Output
- (12) 550A Equalizers
- (4) 560 Equalizers
- (8) Echo Returns
- (1) Complete Center
- Facilities Section
- (16) Manual Faders
- (1) Stereo Fader
We've been buying, selling and restoring the world’s best consoles since 1993
Shopping for a recording console can be an intimidating process. You can spend countless hours online searching for answers only to end up with more questions than when you started. That's why we’ve created our one-of-a-kind shopping experience to help you purchase the console that is exactly right for you and your studio.
Finding the perfect console means being connected, and for over 20 years, we’ve been one of the biggest players in the worldwide audio marketplace. We’ve helped thousands of customers complete the console buying process, while also helping to facilitate brokered sales, gear trade-ins and purchasing classic desks for refurbishment.
No matter whether you’re interested in a vintage piece or the latest releases, our team of experts can answer even the toughest questions. From servicing and shipping consoles to creating custom furniture, patch bays and turnkey packages, we’ve been involved in every aspect of the industry. We work tirelessly to provide the best selection, service and support anywhere to help our customers find the console of their dreams. Want to see what we can do for you? Talk to one of our console experts by calling 888.653.1184 or you can email us.
Includes 1 year warranty on removable modules.
|Condition||Used / Vintage|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the API 1608 32-Channel Console Unloaded #540-0030 (Used).
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields