Purple Audio MC77 FET Compressor
Inspired by the renowned Universal Audio 1176 FET limiter, the Purple Audio MC77 painstakingly recreates the audio circuitry of the Revision E model using high-quality modern components. Based on user feedback from the MC76, the MC77 introduces a number of new improvements such as True Bypass, improved stereo linking and a dedicated side chain insert.
In 2002, Clarostat quit making the custom J series T-pad input attenuator used in the original UA 1176 A-F revisions, as well as the Purple MC76. After finding a replacement design that identically matched the response of the original, the MC77 was born. With the same discrete transistor audio path electronics, single element Class-A output amplifier, and transformer-balanced design as the award-winning MC76, the new MC77 combines classic analog tone with versatile new features.
The Purple Audio MC77 features the same classic push-button controls for ratios of 4:1, 8:1, 12:1 and 20:1—as well as the legendary “all buttons in mode”. The MC77 is equipped with two rugged knobs for smooth, precise adjustments of input and output levels. Two smaller knobs in the center control attack and release times.
The 1176 was known for its lightning-fast attack times and the MC77 captures the same legendary punch with variable attack times from 20 to 800 microseconds. The attack control also features an “off” setting, allowing you to color signals with the classic sound of FET circuitry without having to alter your dynamics. Release times are variable from 50 milliseconds to 1.1 second, making the MC77 versatile enough to use on drums, vocals, guitars and more.
The Purple Audio MC77 is equipped with a number of modern new features and workflow enhancements. A new Bypass button on the front engages a True Bypass so you can accurately A/B mixes. Stereo linking is easier than ever with a dedicated Link button on the front panel. A new Sidechain Insert button enables side-chain compression for massive pumping effects. An upgraded VU meter can be set to monitor gain reduction, input or output levels at +4 dBu.
- True Bypass via sealed relay with front panel switch
- Improved stereo linking with front panel switch
- Side-chain insert loop or key input with front panel switch
- Buffered VU meter can monitor input or output level at +4dBu
- LED meter lights that don't burn out as incandescents do
- Heavy gauge black stainless steel enclosure
- 115v/230v operation switchable from rear panel (serial# 600)
- Discrete Transistor Audio Path Electronics
- Single Element Class A Output Amplifier
- Transformer Balanced XLR Inputs and Outputs
- Zener Shunt Regulated Audio Power Supply
- Compression Ratios - 4:1, 8:1, 12:1 and 20:1
- Fast Attack Time - 20 microseconds to 800 microseconds
- Release Time - 50 milliseconds to 1.1 second
- Gain of 45dB (full gain with no limiting)
- Rugged Design - PCB stiffener, chassis mount transformers
- Purple Anodized Aluminum Front Panel
- 3 year warranty
|Tube or Solid State||Solid State|
Did some research and grabbed one of these over the UA reissue. Can't even explain the depth this compressor has. Vocals sound so focused and three-dimensional. Drums have punch and clarity. Theres something amazing it gives to anything you run through it. Props to Purple for the bypass button. Believe the hype.
Love it! - It's a real workhorse.
Solid - great sounding full feature compressor/limiter
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Purple Audio MC77 FET Compressor.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields