Phoenix Audio Gyrator EQ 500 Series 4-Band EQ
The Phoenix Audio Gyrator EQ 500 is a highly versatile four-band inductor-style EQ. Modeled after the DRS EQ 500, the Gyrator features all new selectable frequency positions and a dedicated “sheen” control for boosting frequencies at 25 kHz. Equipped with a 24 V power supply, the Gyrator EQ delivers the same powerful sound as full-sized Phoenix Audio processors in a compact 500 series module.
Originally introduced in the 1970s, gyrator EQs were known for their highly musical sound. Similar to active inductor designs from Neve and API, gyrator EQs feature a proportional bandwidth that narrows as the gain is increased. However, vintage gyrator EQs tended to be big, heavy, and noisy. The Phoenix Audio Gyrator EQ 500 utilizes a solid-state design that not only solves these issues, but also improves upon the original design.
FOUR-BAND FIXED DESIGN
Equipped with four bands, each with three selectable frequencies, the Gyrator EQ 500 is incredibly easy to use. The low band extends all the way down to 40 Hz for rich, booming lows. A switchable high-pass filter can be used to created unique Pultec-style EQ curves. Two mid bands are perfect for cutting muddiness in the low-mids, adding bark and bite to tracks, or taming harshness. The high band features a dedicated “sheen” control fixed at 25 kHz for adding presence to tracks—perfect for breathing new life into acoustic instruments.
Like all of Phoenix Audio’s 500 series modules, the Gyrator EQ 500 is equipped with a 24 V step-up transformer to provide the true sound quality of the design without being limited by the 16 V Lunchbox design. This also enables the Gyrator EQ to deliver authentic analog saturation. At low levels, the Gyrator offers an ultra-clean, transparent sound, but crank up the dials to drive the output stage for fat, fully saturated tones.
- 2 formats: Gyrator/500 Gyrator EQ 500: mono 500 series without Preamp/DI (operates at 24 V); Ascent Two EQ Gyrator EQ with Preamp/DI: Stereo 1RU with our Ascent Series Preamp/DI; Ascent One EQ Gyrator EQ with Preamp/DI: Mono 1/2RU with our Ascent Series Preamp/DI
- 4 Bands of Gyrator EQ + High-Pass Filter: High – 25K (sheen) 15K, 10K, (shelving EQ); Hi Mid – 6K, 3K, 1K6 (Bell curve EQ); Low Mid – 800 Hz, 400 Hz, 200 Hz (Bell curve EQ); Low – 130 Hz, 80 Hz, 40 Hz (shelving EQ); High Pass Filter at 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave
- EQ Cut/Boost Levels: 16 dB Cut/Boost Per Band - all EQ bands are stepped/detented to 21 positions for easy recall & stereo operations for mastering or the mix bus
- Gyrator-EQ/500 has an overall stepped output level with +15 db of additional gain even while the EQ is in bypass, allowing the output fader to be used to drive the output stage & transformer to color & saturate your sound, again even when the EQ is in bypass
- Phoenix Audio's Class-A DSOP-2 Output Amplifier with custom-wound transformer
- 24 V built PSU so you can feel the sound of the 'true' unit and not be limited by the limitations of running at 16v which is the standard Lunchbox voltage
|Module Type||500 Series|
|Module Slot Count||1 Slot|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Phoenix Audio Gyrator EQ 500 Series 4-Band EQ.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields