Manley Nu Mu Stereo Limiter Compressor
With the all-tube front end of the “T-Bar Modded” Manley Variable MU (a compressor/limiter that has reached legendary status in the pro audio world), followed by a new solid-state audio chain, the Manley Labs Nu Mu delivers seriously smooth and punchy dynamics for exceptional performance – at a great price! The Nu Mu also features the new HIP function, which helps bring up lower-level details with out negatively affecting the more “exciting” transients. This dual-channel tube/solid state compressor/limiter also has a Stereo Link for Left-Master dynamic control.
- Manley IRON input transformers
- 4x hand-matched 6BA6 vacuum tubes
- Balanced XLR inputs & outputs
- Manley HIP function raises soft dynamics without squashing louder passages
- High Voltage Switched Mode Power Supply custom designed for Manley’s vacuum tube audio circuits
Controls and Switches:
- Input Level Preset 3-way switches
- Continuously variable Output level controls
- Variable Attack: 25msec-70msec
- Recovery switch 5 steps: 0.2s, 0.4s, 0.6s, 4sec., 8sec.
- Continuously variable Threshold controls
- Hardwired Relay Bypass Switch
- Ratio Mode switches between Limit (4:1 to 20:1) or Compress (1.5 to 1)
- HP SC: High Pass Side Chain Filter -3 dB @ 100 Hz
- Stereo Link establishes Left-Master dynamic control
- Beautiful illuminated stereo VU meters read Gain Reduction or Output Level
- Universal internal power supply operates worldwide 90-250V~AC 50/60 Hz
|Tube or Solid State||Tube/Solid State Hybrid|
After throwing a ton of content through this unit I'm pleased to say that I'm very happy with my purchase. After doing some comparisons with other hardware compressors, the Nu Mu maintains the organic signal very well and adds quality. It handles ambience SO well, and brings out the best in my mixes! The HIP function is neat and definitely adds that 'parallel compression' sound that works for certain tasks. Vocals, strings, piano, pads, you name it!
Positives definitely outweigh the negatives in this case. Not too fond of the 'mirrored' knob design on the front panel, but you get used to it after a while. The lack of rotary input control is a cut, but not a kill. Percussive and heavy transients tend to lose some integrity, but not as much as it's predecessor (who's still alive and kicking).
Overall, a well balanced compressor that my ears are happy with. The Nu Mu is packed with clarity and color, and really emphasizes the dynamics / movement in my mixes. With the ability to split the channels, there are a ton of possibilities. A very handy tool to have.
The Nu-Mu is a very good compressor, that I can use on pretty much everything, It's much for focus, punchy and clear than the vari-mu. The really good trick on this unit is the HIP button, it just make everything better, more present, more beefy. I love it!
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Manley Nu Mu Stereo Limiter Compressor.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields