Mesanovic Microphones Model 2
Made in Detroit
The Mesanovic Microphones Model 2 is a passive ribbon microphone that pushes modern design to its limits. The microphone is completely handcrafted in Detroit, Michigan and features a 1.8 micron thick, 2 inch long pure aluminum ribbon. The ribbon motor was designed to have a very short front to back path length as well as custom resonator plates. These features give the Model 2 an incredibly extended high frequency response, while retaining classic ribbon midrange and a rich, low end that reaches flat out to 20 Hz. You can hear the high frequency "air" in this microphone, something not common in ribbons. The Model 2 is equipped with a custom U.S.A. made toroidal transformer. This transformer provides extremely low distortion, low noise, incredible high frequency detail, and a 3D like sound. The microphone's slim body (1.25 inches in diameter) allows it to be used with most third party shockmounts and allows for quick and easy set up.
The Model 2 sounds great on all sources. Its smooth, flat, and extended high end response makes it much more versatile than your classic ribbon mic and will change the way you record. It is an excellent choice on vocals, guitar amps, drums, strings, brass, piano, and much more. The Model 2 also features an amazingly quick transient response.
The Model 2 comes with a lifetime warranty on parts and a free re-ribboning within two years of purchase for the original owner.
Why it sounds amazing
- An all original one of a kind ribbon motor construction providing an extremely wide and balanced frequency response (20-20 kHz and beyond).
- The furthest reaching high end frequency response of any ribbon on the market adding “air” to your recordings in a natural way, without added electronics.
- Incredibly extended low end response that is tight, defined, and controlled.
- Open, transparent, natural sound with incredible depth and detail.
- Custom made toroidal transformer that is perfectly matched to the ribbon providing low noise and low distortion.
- Lifetime warranty on parts and a 2 year ribbon replacement warranty.
- Completely handcrafted with extreme attention to quality in Detroit, MI.
In the Box
Model 2, plastic molded case, shock mount and protective pouch
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional
- Frequency Range: 20-20 kHz and beyond
- Sensitivity: -53.2 dB (2.2 mV/Pa)
- Noise Floor: <17 dBA
- Max SPL: 140dB SPL
- Height: 7.4 in
- Diameter: 1.25 in
- Weight: 215 g
- Ribbon Element:
- Material: Pure Aluminum
- Thickness: 1.8 microns
- Length: 2 in
- Width: 0.23 in
Reviews and Testimonials
"The Mesanovic Model 2 is a very fine microphone that stands comparison with any capacitor or dynamic that I can think of. Its performance is exemplary by any standards, making it suitable for almost all studio situations."
"A very fine microphone whose sonic capabilities demonstrate just how good a modern ribbon designs can be. Highly recommended."
"Big, smooth, warm and highly detailed overall sound."
- Sound on Sound, February, 2016
"I love the Model 2 on brass and drum room mics. The top end is warm and not brittle at all. It was great to record a trumpet legend on this microphone. The results were incredible..."
- Todd Fairall, Grammy Award Winning Engineer & Producer (Common, The Roots, The Clark Sisters, Bob Seger, Mary J. Blige)
"I used the Model 2 on trombone for Kem's latest album with great results. A very clear, warm, wonderful sounding microphone."
- Eric Morgeson, Grammy Nominated Engineer & Producer (Kem, Aretha Franklin, Ron Isley, Fred Hammond)
"The Model 2 is very popular on electric guitar and users hear the bright top end that cuts through nicely in a track. Gotta love that!"
- Rolff Zwiep, Blackbird Studio Manager, Nashville, TN
"The Model 2 sounded exactly as I hoped - open, honest and all around perfect for what I asked it to do. On electric and acoustic guitars, as a room mic for drums and even a vocal.. All in all a great microphone.."
- Vance Powell, Grammy Award Winning Engineer & Producer (Jack White, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, Buddy Guy, Kings of Leon)
"When I started to use the Model 2, I used it mainly as a room mic on drums, it worked fantastic for this. By now I use it on a variety of sources, like electric guitars, acoustic instruments, percussion etc.. It's a nice open mic with a very natural sound."
- Michael Wagener, Producer, Recording & Mix Engineer (Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Skid Row, Alice Cooper, Dokken)
“The Model 2 is exactly what I’ve been looking for in a ribbon mic - balanced and open with great depth and top end clarity. It gives me what I need every time I use it. I love it on drum overheads, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar.”
- Al Sutton, Producer & Engineer (Kid Rock, Uncle Kracker, Pop Evil, Hank Williams Jr.)
"My experience with the Model 2S stereo ribbon mic was absolutely mind-blowing the first time I used it as an overhead on my drum kit. In fact, there was no need for anything else but the 2S to capture the entire kit!"
- Nir Z, World-renowned Studio Session Drummer (Genesis, John Mayer, Blake Shelton, Jason Mraz, Chris Cornell)
|Package Contents||Mic clip, case, mic sleeve, user manual|
|Unit Weight||215 g|
|Tube or Solid State||Solid State|
|Polar Pattern||Bi-Directional / Figure-Eight|
|Number of Microphones||Single Microphone|
|Frequency Range||20 Hz - 20 kHz|
|Sensitivity||-53.2 dBV/Pa (2.2 mV)|
|Max. SPL||140 dB|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Mesanovic Microphones Model 2.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields