Golden Age Project PREQ-73 Premier Microphone Preamp/EQ
The Golden Age Project PREQ-73 is a single-channel vintage style microphone/line/instrument preamplifier with a two band shelving equalizer offering a smooth and effective sound shaping.
The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The line and microphone input and the line output are transformer balanced, using three different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. The fully floating output can drive a level of at least +26 dBu into a load as low as 600 Ohms.
This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available. The subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units, a situation that is even more obvious now when music is recorded with clean sounding digital audio equipment.
The circuit used in the PREQ-73 is similar to the preamp and part of the equalizer section in the classical 1073 module with a corresponding sound character that is warm, punchy, sweet and musical. These classic characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
- Vintage style electronics with no integrated circuits in the signal path
- Maximum gain on the mic input is 80 dB, enough to handle passive ribbon mics with quiet sound sources
- Gain range on the line input: -20 to +10 dB
- Switchable impedance on the mic input, 1200 or 300 Ohm, will change the tone of many mics
- Switchable phantom power and phase reverse
- High-impedance instrument input for sound modules, electric guitar or bass
- A two band LF (±15 dB) and HF (±20 dB) shelving equalizer with two selectable frequencies for each band
- A simple but effective 3-step LED output level meter
- Output level control for fine gain adjustments and to make it possible to drive the input gain and equalizer stages harder
- Combo XLR/TRS input jacks and separate output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections. Will drive almost any load
- Insert jack (unbalanced, low level) for inserting effect units in the signal path, it can be located before or after the eq section
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path
- The circuit board is prepared for the Carnhill mic and line input transformers
- Jumper selectable 600 Ohms output termination
- External high power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use
|Input Connectors||XLR Combo Jack TRS|
|Output Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, Analog XLR|
I bought a pair for recording electric guitar. They're super-simple and sound fabulous especially for the price. Only thing I will add is that a mic cable got caught in the input jack of one... But this minor flaw on one example has no bearing on incredible tone for a hell of a bargain.
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Golden Age Project PREQ-73 Premier Microphone Preamp/EQ.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields