For years the top Mastering engineers at the hottest facilities have been using custom-designed gear that was not available to the rest of us…until now. The Dangerous MASTER
represents the latest generation of the legendary Sterling Sound/Chris Muth Mastering transfer consoles. Working side-by side over several decades with many of the best Mastering engineers in the business, Chris and the equipment designed in this unique collaborative environment have set the standard for the form, function and sonic performance of the modern Mastering setup. Highlights
- Unparalleled fidelity, detail and imaging
- Pristine, uncolored signal path
- 100% Analog sum-and-difference processing
- Stepped controls throughout
- Integrates seamlessly with the Dangerous MONITOR
The Dangerous MASTER is the no-compromise heart of the Mastering studio. Its transparent circuitry seamlessly integrates the power of analog signal processing by allowing easy insertion of equalizers, compressor/limiters and de-essers. 100% stepped switching provides accurate and repeatable level control as well as easy pre-post Monitoring with level matching through the Input Monitor Offset feature. The S&M mid-side processing loop allows unprecedented control of the stereo image.
The integrated Input Monitor Offset allows you to focus on the sound of your master without being fooled by the pre- and post-process level differences.
The S&M matrix is an analog sum and difference processor affording unprecedented control of stereo signals. Mastering engineers will enjoy the fact that S&M allows them to save seemingly unsalvageable tracks by altering vocal levels without touching the mix, by fixing overly wide or narrow stereo fields, or by de-essing aggressive cymbal hits while leaving the center lead untouched.
Dangerous MASTER, combined with the Dangerous MONITOR and your favorite processing gear, will provide you with what you need to turn any mix into a professional Master.
As with all Dangerous Music equipment, the Dangerous MASTER is designed by engineers, for engineers, and built by hand using the highest quality components. Specifications
- All connections are Balanced XLR, +4dBu nominal operating level
- 2 stereo inputs
- 3 stereo outputs (one for Monitoring)
- 3 insert loops
- 2nd insert capable of MS matrix operation
- Input and Output controls: + - 5dB in 0.5dB steps
- Input Monitor Offset: -2 to +8dB in 0.5dB steps
- Width control: -4 to +6dB in 0.5dB steps
- Attenuator accuracy: 0.02dB (0.01dB typical)
- THD+Noise in audio band: 0.003%
- IMD 60Hz + 4kHz 4:1: 0.004%
- Crosstalk rejection: Better than 95dB @ 1kHz
- Headroom: > +27dBu, +23dBu in the matrix under worst case conditions
- Frequency response: Better than 0.2dB down @ 1Hz and 100kHz
- Noise floor: < -89dBu total energy in the audio band
- Warranty: 2 years parts and labor, subject to inspection. Does not include damage incurred through abusive operation or modifications/attempted repair by unauthorized technicians.