Buzz Audio MA-2.2B Stereo Microphone Preamp - Silver
The Buzz Audio MA-2.2B Microphone Preamp is a very high end dual-channel microphone preamp featuring a high standard of workmanship and meticulously engineered construction meaning it will last a life time.
New in the MA2.2B:
- Functions are now controlled with illuminated push button switches with "clickless" operation, no more thumps on the output
- The gain pot has been replaced with a calibrated 24 position Elma switch for accurate stereo matching between channels
- 19 segment peak output level meter added
- The original audio and power supply design of the MA-2.2 has been retained
Audio Path Quality
The circuitry used in the MA-2.2B preamp was developed by Buzz Audio designer Tim Farrant in the 1990s and was dubbed True Class A. The resulting BE40 series of amplifiers exhibit very wide frequency response (into the mega-hertz) and ultra fast slew rates (140V/uS) even at 60 dB of gain. These attributes, plus the inherently low distortion provide the exceptionally pure top end sound of the MA-2.2B. In addition, the over engineered power supply design with localized Class A regulators for each amplifier stage supplies the grunt needed for an authoritative and accurate bottom end - it sounds tight and never overblown. Instead of an input transformer Buzz use a stack of Wima film capacitors and these do not exhibit the low frequency phase problems associated with transformers, and sound MUCH better than polarized capacitors found in competing high end products.
The MA-2.2B sounds amazingly vibrant when recording acoustic guitar and percussion. It is equally at home on vocal and piano duties - and you will be very surprised how tight a kick drum can sound using this preamp - no more bouncing balls! Stringed instruments, choirs and full orchestras will be reproduced with the full dynamic range they require with zero midrange harshness. One could say, this preamp records everything with an uncanny life-like accuracy. It is virtually uncolored but exhibits a huge amount of vibe and musicality. The low reactance Wima capacitor input stage stack matches well with all microphone types and the noise specification is within 0.5 dB of the theoretical minimum possible, so ribbon, capacitor and dynamic mics' are no problem for this preamp.
Controls and Functions
- GAIN dB - a 24 position Elma audio switch to set the gain of the preamp between +14 to +66 dB
- MUTE - when engaged, the audio output of the MA2.2B is switched off, on power up, the mute is always engaged to avoid thumps on the output
- -20 dB - when engaged, a 20 dB resistive pad is inserted right at the input to cater for high input level signals
- Ø REV - when engaged, the polarity or phase of the input signal is reversed 180 degrees
- LO-Z - changes the mic input loading from 3k ohms to 1k ohms, which can change the overall tone of the connected microphone
- 48 V - when engaged 48 V phantom power is supplied to the connected microphone, on power up it is always set to off to avoid disasters
- POWER - A handy power on/off switch and associated power LED, conveniently located on the front panel!
|Unit Weight||15.4 lb|
|Input Connectors||Analog XLR|
|Output Connectors||1/4-inch TRS, Analog XLR|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Buzz Audio MA-2.2B Stereo Microphone Preamp - Silver.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields