Buzz Audio Elixir 500 Series Microphone Preamp/DI
Class A 500 series microphone preamp/DI employing using BE40 amplifiers at the input and BE50 high current line drivers to excite the Lundahl LL1517 output transformer
Standing out from the crowd, the Buzz Audio Elixir Class A microphone preamp offers exciting and vibrant tones in the 500 Series format. It features an all-discrete signal path using True Class A BE40 amplifiers at the input and BE50 high current line drivers to excite the Lundahl LL1517 output transformer. The topology is quite different to most other mic preamps in that it is balanced from input to output. The instrument input features Buzz Audio's BE43 "bootstrapped FET" high impedance interface that really pumps as a bass DI.
MOJO, NOT MUD
The Elixir is an ideal complement to other 500 series preamps that feature a dark or muddy sound. The wide frequency response and fast transient response plus color from the output transformer generate a "warm sweet liquid" sound quality that sets it apart from that crowd. These attributes make the Elixir particularly good at recording percussion, drums (you need to hear it on snare), vocals and stringed instruments. When used at high gains and high output levels the sound of the Elixir does not turn "dirty" unlike preamps with poor slew rate performance thereby generating dynamic distortions.
SPECS THAT MATTER
As with all Buzz preamps, the Elixir noise floor is as low as possible under the laws of physics and there is plenty of gain for low output ribbon and dynamic microphones. The output headroom at +34 dBu is outstandingly unique in the 500 series format, and adds a feeling of real effortlessness to the sound quality. The transformer-less mic input presents a "non-reactive" load to the microphone which means you hear exactly what the microphone manufacturer intended, without the unpredictable nature of an input transformer.
CONTROLS AND FUNCTIONS:
- GAIN: 41 detented pot that sets gain between +22 to +70 dB
- POLARITY: normal or reverse polarity switched at the input inverts the signal 180 degrees, used to match spaced microphones such as top and bottom snare drum
- 20 dB PAD: introduces a 20 dB pad right at the mic input for high level signals, because it is part of the input circuit network, using the pad does not change the sound of the preamplifier
- IMPEDANCE: selects high or low input impedance; for the mic input it is 3 kOhms or 1kOhms - there is no right or wrong setting for this function but it can change the tone of dynamic and ribbon microphone, when using the DI input it is switched 1 mOhms or 20 kOhms, which may similarly alter the tone of bass or guitar pickups
- +48V: switches on the phantom power for condenser microphones and powered DI boxes
- METER: four leds give visual indication of peak output level
Each Elixir module occupies one 500 series module slot and draws 150 mA ±15 - 18 volts DC, as supplied by frame power supply in which it is fitted. This is generally higher than most modules available from API and other manufacturers. At this time, it is recommended that only two modules are fitted into the API Lunchbox frame along with other modules. The API V500 rack with LP200 external supply will easily power 10 modules. The older API 10 space rack with internal power supply is not suitable for the elixir modules.
The OSA Trackpack and Powerack with the large external supply will easily power a full fit out of elixir modules. Power supply compatibility with other frame manufacturers is not fully known at this time.
|Tube or Solid State||Solid State|
|Module Type||500 Series|
|Module Slot Count||1 Slot|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the Buzz Audio Elixir 500 Series Microphone Preamp/DI.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields