- In early August, API introduced API Select, a series of six releases that combined technology purchased by the storied brand over the years with homegrown innovations. The API Select lineup includes the T12 Tube 2-Channel Mic Preamplifier, T25 2-Channel Tube Compressor, SR22 Dual-Channel Compressor, SR24 Dual Channel Equalizer, TranZformer GTR Pedal and TranZformer CMP Pedal. Continue reading →
- Earlier this year, H2 Audio brought new life to the Helios name with fantastic 500 Series reproductions of the classic console brand's mic pre and EQ. H2 Audio is now taking the Helios love to the next level with its latest release, the 0011 Mic Pre and 3-Band EQ ($1999). This painstaking recreation of the original channel module will inspire those who love the sound of classic Helios records like Are You Experienced?, Exile on Main Street, Led Zeppelin I and countless others. Al Sutton and Tim Mead of H2 Audio have worked tirelessly to stay true to Dick Swettenham's original design work and perfect the 0011 down to its smallest detail. Continue reading →
- In a short period of time, Julian Traverse has made a name for himself around the world with the brilliant Traverse Analogue 652 dual-channel mic preamp. Traverse Analogue's reputation is staked on boutique-level craftsmanship and the 652's tube-based circuitry, which lights up any source passing through it with plenty of rich harmonic content. We recently sat down to talk with Julian about the company, his journey into pro audio, his mentors, and more. Watch our demo of the Traverse Analogue 652 below and continue on after to read our full Behind The Gear conversation. Continue reading →
- Since bursting onto the pro audio scene in 2018, Cranborne Audio has firmly entrenched itself with a bevy of fantastic releases. One of its most notable products is the Camden 500. This microphone preamp has quickly joined the ranks of the Neve 1073LB and Rupert Neve Designs 511 as one of the best-selling 500 Series modules at Vintage King. The reason for the success of the Cranborne Audio Camden 500 is no secret. The module offers the polar extremes of the mic preamp world by giving engineers both extremely clean sounds and vintage warmth. When designing the module, Cranborne Audio elected to go transformerless, which guarantees an extremely transparent and linear sound. The Camden 500 preamp has low-noise and low-distortion performance for a stunning level of clarity. Continue reading →
- A few weeks ago, the pro audio community suffered a tremendous loss when Rupert Neve passed away at the age of 94. Known to many as the father of modern recording, Rupert's passing shook colleagues, fans and musicians alike. He was known for being an incredibly kind man and a brilliant innovator who inspired legions of music makers with his...
- While AES 2020 may only exist online this year, gear manufacturers continue to launch new products during the weeks surrounding the annual show. The latest release this October comes by way of Cranborne Audio, a new upstart in the world of pro audio. Cranborne Audio has quickly planted its flag with the incredible Camden 500 preamp and 500 Series rack/interface. For the brand's new Camden EC1, the award-winning design of its flagship mic pre has been put into a desktop chassis with some extra features. Before we get too far into the extras, let's talk about the preamp. Continue reading →
- While the most recent releases from Neumann have leaned towards microphones, monitors, and headphones, the brand has announced a new piece of gear that will fit perfectly right alongside them in your studio. Meet the Neumann V 402, a dual-channel pre amp that will bring the utmost clarity to your recordings. Neumann is certainly no stranger to building incredible preamps, as they have done so for consoles throughout their storied history. However, this is the brand's first stand-alone mic pre release, and what better to pair with an impeccable sounding Neumann microphone than a pristine preamp. Continue reading →
- API Audio has always been synonymous with large sounding American rock records that have lots of analog warmth. One of the key elements of that sound is the API 312 mic pre, which API has just announced is coming back to regular production in 2020. In celebration of API's 50th anniversary, the brand released a limited edition hand-wired version of the 312 in 2019. The new version of the famed preamp announced today is a standard production version that costs $795 and offers the same classic API sound in a 500 Series format. Continue reading →