- Located just outside Orlando, Florida, Red Lion Audio has been a hot spot for recording, mixing and mastering for over a decade. Engineers Gustavo Porras and Caine Lee have over 25 years of experience between them and have recorded and mixed countless albums. While the duo will handle any genre, the studio has garnered a reputation for working with punk...
- Being one of the most prestigious studios in the world, the bar is set incredibly high for the quality of gear utilized at EastWest Studios, especially for audio converters. When deciding what gear to bring into the studio, EastWest's manager Candace Stewart often looks to her clients as a source of inspiration. "We find out what our clients want and we get it," says Candace. "I can't remember who introduced me to the BURL Audio converters, it might have been Dave Cobb (Chris Stapleton / Sturgill Simpson), but they said they needed new converters. The people wanted a better converter." Continue reading →
- In our Vintage King Workflow series, we enter the studios of audio creators to learn about the gear that is essential to their process. For Santa Monica-based producer and mix engineer Jim Kaufman (Anti-Flag / Beware of Darkness), the world-class conversion and summing power of Burl Audio have had the biggest impact on his output."I was never happy with the conversion that I had before. Navon [Weisberg] at Vintage King told me about the Burl stuff," says Jim. "I knew Dave Cobb was using it, Dave and I have the same manager, and I love Dave's records. So I went in and I got the Mothership and it was amazing." Continue reading →
- The Burl Audio B4 made its debut at the 2019 NAMM Show and in the time since the announcement, engineers have been dreaming about the expanded possibilities of the B80 and B16 Motherships with the daughter card. For those of you who have been anxiously waiting to add a mic pre card to your Mothership, the wait is finally over. The B4 is here! With the B4 mic pre daughter card, a number of I/O options and configurations open up for both the B80 and B16 Mothership. Since the B4 features four mic/line inputs on the card, an engineer using a single B80 Mothership chassis can create a system that features 40 input channels of audio mic/line inputs. Whether working in the studio or in the live sound setting, you now have access to a significant number of channels with Burl's signature warm, fat sounds. Continue reading →
- Burl Audio is well known for the incredible B80 Mothership, but their gear offerings extend beyond the famed converter rack and give users a number of different options in the studio. In an effort to better showcase the Burl B16 Mothership and B32 Vancouver summing mixer, we headed to the 45 Factory with Audio Consultant Andy Caitlin (a.k.a The Lasso) to work on a track that he conceived during a recent tour. For the uninitiated, the Burl B16 Mothership is a 2-slot version of the much bigger, 10-slot B80 Mothership. The 2U rack mount form factor allows users of smaller project studios to take advantage of Burl converters. For Andy's track, he recorded piano, drums, electric guitar, and synthesizer through a B16 Mothership with the BAD8 and BDA8 daughter cards, and a BMB4 Waves SoundGrid card connecting the rig to the studio's Mac. Continue reading →