Warm Audio is known for making budget-conscious recreations of classic microphones, such as the popular WA-67, WA-47 and WA-87. Today, the brand announced two highly-anticipated additions to the collection with the new WA-CX12 ($999) and WA-47F microphones ($799). In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at both recreations and how these new Warm Audio mics compare to those that inspired them.
Warm Audio WA-CX12 Tube Microphone
Used by iconic artists such as The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift and more, the original AKG C12 tube microphone is still one of the most coveted mics ever made. Inspired by the “golden era” C12 microphones produced in Austria from 1953 - 1963, the new WA-CX12 delivers a pleasing high-end and colorful midrange that helps performances cut through dense mixes.
Equipped with a solid brass CK12-style capsule, custom TAB-Funkenwerk transformer and premium hand-selected 12AY7 vacuum tube, the WA-CX12 cuts no corners in achieving a highly accurate sound profile compared to the original, known for its natural, balanced sound. Plus, with nine selectable polar patterns, including cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8 patterns plus 6 intermediate stages, the Warm Audio CX12 makes it easy to dial in the perfect amount of ambience in any setting.
A boutique seven-pin tube cable using vintage-correct construction methods and highly-upgraded components ensures near-perfect signal transfer while recording. Additionally, the WA-CX12 includes an ultra-durable, vintage-style tweed carrying case for safely transporting your mic from session to session.
WA-CX12 TECH SPECS
- Polar Patterns: 9 Patterns - Cardioid, Omnidirectional, Figure-8, + 6 additional mixed patterns
- Max SPL: 149dB
- Frequency Response: 30Hz-20kHz
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 73dB
- EIN / Self-noise: 32dBA
- Power Source: External IEC grounded PSU
- Cable: Gotham 5 meter GAC-7, premium 7-pin tube microphone cable
- Total Weight: 17 lbs, Mic only: 2lbs 7oz
- Mic Dimensions: 11 ⅝” x 2” (29.5cm x 5cm)
Warm Audio WA-47F FET Microphone
Modeled after the legendary U47 FET released in 1969, the new WA-47F is built to withstand fast transients and high SPLs, making it a versatile mic for recording drums, vocals and more. Favored by rockers like Van Halen, Nirvana and AC/DC, the original U47 is fabled for being a “secret weapon” for huge kick drum sounds.
Featuring a premium reproduction of the vintage K47-style capsule, the WA-47F delivers an extremely wide frequency response. A custom TAB-Funkenwerk transformer drives the punchy, powerful sound captured by the capsule, while the mic’s premium components and elite build quality ensure minimal self-noise for pristine recordings. The Warm Audio 47F includes a premium wood box for safe storage and transportation, as well as a sturdy mic mount to protect against handling noise while recording.
WA-47F TECH SPECS
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Max SPL: 137dB, 147dB with 10dB pad engaged
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-19kHz
- Output Impedance: 150 ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: >1kOhms
- Pads and Filters: -10dB pad, 140 Hz Hi-Pass filter
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (+ weighted): 69 dB, 76 dB-A
- EIN / Self-noise (+ weighted): 25dB, 18 dB-A
- Total Weight: 3.5lbs, Mic only: 2lbs
- Mic Dimensions: 8” x 2.75” (20.3cm x 7cm)