Throughout 2018, Vintage King customers were upgrading their studio monitors and hearing their mixes better than ever. While larger monitors still sold at an impressive rate, it was interesting to see the trend of downsizing classic technology into smaller speaker sizes.
Continue on below to discover the Best Selling Monitors of 2018 and see what everyone has been buying this past year. Featured on the list are new favorites from Barefoot Sound, ADAM Audio and Focal, classics from ATC Loudspeakers and other interesting selections.
1. Barefoot Sound Footprint 01
For those that longed for Barefoot Sound technology in a form factor (and price) befitting of a smaller studio, the Footprint 01 answered your prayers. This active 3-way monitor utilizes Barefoot design features like Dual-Force technology opposing woofers, dual ring radiator tweeter and aluminum cone midrange driver.
The Barefoot Sound Footprint 01 also features MEME voice emulation technology. Thanks to this incredible DSP modeling, the speakers can mimic an incredible array of characteristics of classic near-field monitors. This is perfect for checking your mixes without the need for another set of reference speakers.
- Description: 3-way active monitor with MEME voice emulation
- Controls: Input level stepped attenuator, MEME voice select
- Audio Input: Balanced XLR, 50 kOhm Impedance
- Sensitivity: 90 dB @ 1 meter with -15 dBV input signal (level control set to 0 dB)
- Frequency Response: 36 Hz – 45 kHz (±3 dB), 45 Hz – 40 kHz (± 1dB)
- Bass Response: -3 dB @ 36 Hz, Q = 0.707, Slope = 18 dB/octave
2. ADAM Audio T7V
ADAM Audio also answered the call of making more affordable speakers utilizing their same impressive technology with their new T-Series monitors. The line features two different monitors, including the T5V and the number two Best Selling Monitor of 2018, the T7V.
At only $249 per monitor, the T7V offers users a two-way active studio speaker that provides 110 dB SPL per pair with a very wide frequency range of 39 Hz to 25 kHz. The monitor's U-ART tweeter uses the same High-Frequency Waveguide dispersion-control from the popular ADAM Audio S-Series monitors.
- U-ART 1.9” Accelerated Ribbon Tweeter
- The air velocity ratio of 4:1 during the sound generation by folded U-ART membrane
- HPS waveguide from the S Series
- Lightweight polypropylene construction of the woofer
- Vertical 2-way system with 7” woofer
- Spacious rear-firing bass reflex port
- Linear frequency response of 39 Hz to 25 kHz
3. Focal Shape 65 Compact Powered Monitor
In 2018, Focal introduced the Shape Series, a line that features three near-field monitors with a focus on new woofers and tweeter dome. The hottest selling of these monitors from throughout the past year has easily been the Shape 65.
The Shape 65 is the largest speaker in this new series from Focal and is meant for those working in small spaces. The back panel of the Shape 65 features a high pass filter and three band EQ, which can help you shape the monitor for your specific space.
- Low directivity tweeter for a flexible listening position
- Designed without a port allowing it to be placed near a wall
- Numerous settings for optimal integration
- Accurate control, even in the very high end
- Flax sandwich cone: controlled and articulated bass, natural and detailed lower mid-range and upper mid-range registers
4. ADAM Audio A7X
The ADAM Audio A7X takes inspiration from the brand's award-winning A7 monitor. For their new take on a modern classic, ADAM started by creating a new X-ART tweeter, which improves upon the former monitor's frequency response.
From there, the X-ART tweeter was paired with a new midwoofer design for the A7X. Each driver has its own dedicated amplifier. A 50W A/B amp is responsible for the X-ART tweeter, while the midwoofer is being driven by a 100W PWM amp.
- German Handmade Precision X-ART Tweeter
- 7“ Woofer (Carbon/Rohacell/Glass Fiber)
- Amp. Power RMS / Music: 150 W / 225 W
- Frequency Response: 42 Hz - 50 kHz
- Max. SPL per pair at 1 m: ≥114 dB
5. ATC Loudspeakers SCM25A Pro
When creating the SCM Series, ATC Loudspeakers set out to build monitors that were completely neutral. Thanks to this flat, neutral frequency response, engineers can make better decisions and navigate flaws in their sessions.
As the number five Best Selling Monitor of 2018, the SCM25A Pro is the smallest in this line from ATC Loudspeakers. The monitor features a hand-built 3" mid-range driver, 7" bass driver and a built-in 235 W class A/B 3-way amplifier for pumping out pristine sounding audio.
- 25 mm soft dome tweeter
- ATC hand built 2"/75 mm soft dome mid driver
- ATC hand built 7"/175 mm carbon-paper cone bass driver
- On board 235 W class A/B three channel amplifier
- Drivers: HF 25 mm soft dome, Mid 75 mm soft dome, LF 164 mm short-coil carbon paper cone
- Cut-off Frequencies (-6 dB, free-standing): 47 Hz - 22 kHz
Honorable Mention: Focal Solo6 Be, ATC Loudspeakers SCM45A Pro and Focal Pro Shape Twin Active
If you'd like to learn more about the Best Selling Monitors of 2018, contact a Vintage King Audio Consultant via email or by phone at 866.644.0160.