API 527 500 Series Compressor – No Longer Available
The API 527 offers the features, flexibility and performance of the company’s other VCA-based compressors, such as the 225L and the renowned 2500 Stereo Compressor, in a convenient 500 Series module that packs a lot of punch into a small form factor. Plus, the 527 circuit incorporates API’s discrete 2510 and 2520 op-amps and a transformer output, so you get all the signature sonic character associated with API compressors.
Control your Tone
The API 527 offers tremendous flexibility through its front panel switches, offering a choice of Old (“feed back”) classic compressor performance or more modern New (“feed forward”) character. Soft/Hard toggles between the very natural, uncompressed sound of API’s "over-easy" type compression and the more obvious limiting effect of hard-knee operation. API’s patented Thrust switch — also found on the 2500 — ensures a punchy bottom end through the introduction of frequency-dependent side-chain control.
The attack, release and ratio settings are all continuously variable and feature detented controls, allowing you to easily return to your favorite settings. Attack times can be adjusted from 1 millisecond to 25 milliseconds while release time constants range from .3 second to 3 seconds.
Two 527 modules can be linked for stereo use via a motherboard bus connection.
- Audio circuit uses the 2510 and 2520 Discrete Op Amps with transformer output
- Continuously variable detented Threshold control
- Continuously variable detented Attack and Release controls
- Continuously variable detented Ratio control
- Output Fader level control
- 10-segment VU/gain reduction meter with selector switch
- Overload LED
- Link switch for multiple unit interdependent compression linking
- New/Old switch for feed-forward or feed-back compression
- Hard/Soft compression curve knee switch
- Patented Thrust switch for frequency-dependent side-chain control
- In switch with hard relay bypass when in the Out position
|Tube or Solid State||Solid State|
|Module Type||500 Series|
|Module Slot Count||1 Slot|
Just bought a pair of 527s for our 1608. Ryan at VK was super helpful, took the time to explain the 527s and how they could be linked in the 1608. Also offered up several other compression options that we should keep on our bucket list. Installation in the 1608 was straight forward and a little bit of soldering allowed us to link the two units for stereo link mode. Drum buss is punchy
* Required Fields
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the API 527 500 Series Compressor.
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields