API 3288 Classic Console #2229 (Vintage)
API 32 channel/22 monitor console
Great condition API 32 channel console that has been fully recapped in 2010.
This stunning vintage API 3288 was last owned by the artist and producer Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest, who has utilized the desk for over five years in his New Jersey-based studio. Most recently, Q-Tip used the API console during the production of the group’s last album, We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service. Additionally, Q-Tip did production work using the console for Kendrick Lamar, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey and Pusha T. Prior to Q-Tip owning the desk, the API 3288 was used on many other classic records, including several Ramones and Blondie records.
Of the API 3288, Q-Tip states, “The circuitry, the way it was designed, the EQs are very concise and exact. You get a real sharpness and there is a clarity to it. You can hear the difference. I’m not trying to brag or nothing, but when you hear this album and you compare to all the other popular music out there, there’s a certain warmth to it. It has a certain declaration of sharpness.
I think the thing about that board is the high mids, the mid thing on that board is really, really great. We dealt with a lot of guitars, a lot of keyboards and a lot of vocals on this record, I just love how it honed in on those frequencies. It has a nice punch to it. It really kicks you in the face. Guitars sound fucking great on it. Keys sound amazing. Drums have a real attack on that thing. That’s my secret weapon, it’s the board.”
CONSOLE TECHNICAL DETAILS:
- Cosmetic Condition Rating: 9
- List of Cosmetic Flaws: No major flaws, just normal wear for a console of this age
- Working Order Rating: 8
- List of Major Working Faults: Pan Switches have been disabled to accommodate Mods (Pots are working)
- Some Aux patch points are disabled
- Center section switches/cue section switches are intermittent
- Does Console Have Direct Outs: Yes
- Direct Outs Transformer Balanced:
- How Many Lines In at Mix: 54
- List of Any Modifications:
- Pan switches have been disabled
- Some Aux patch points are disabled in the patchbay wiring
- When Was It Last Serviced: Fully recapped around 2010
- List of Any Spare Parts: Several spare parts available, ask for photos
- Model # & Qty of Mic Pre/EQs: 550A (22), 560 (2), 553 (2)
- Model # & Qty of Compressors: None
- No. of Aux Sends: 2
- No. of Busses: 16
- Phantom Power: No
- Brand of Automation: none
- Brand & Type of Patchbay: military
- Qty of Patchbay(s): 12 rows of 36 patch points
- Location of Patchbay: Right
- Is There a Stand: Yes
- Is There a Producer's Desk: No
- Original Manual: Yes
- Is Manual Complete: Yes
- Includes Tech Report: Yes
- Modifications Documented: No
|Condition||Used / Vintage|
|Analog or Digital||Analog|
|Number of Buses||24|
|Patch Bay Included||Internal|
Please fill out the form below and a Vintage King Audio Consultant will contact you with a ship date for the API 3288 Classic Console #2229 (Vintage).
When it comes to getting the best gear, your tastes are probably pretty particular. Vintage King can help answer any and every question to help you make the right decisions for your sound. Fill out the form below and we'll be in contact with you shortly.
Free shipping to the lower 48 US states on orders $99 and up. See details.
* Required Fields