Marcus Schmidinger is the Vienna Symphonic Whistler! VSL users might be already familiar with his name, as he performed on all of the horn instruments included in the Brass I and Brass II Collections – both as a soloist (of the Viennese horn and the triple horn) as well as a member of the Horn ensemble on the popular Epic Horns.
During the recordings at our Silent Stage it was discovered that Marcus is not only a true horn virtuoso, but also an excellent whistler with an incredibly homogenous timbre over a wide key range of approximately two octaves. As an aside, so-called “art whistlers” echo an Austrian tradition of the 19th century when they would perform in Viennese community theatres, vaudeville shows and cabarets.
Vienna Symphonic recorded a wide range of articulations, including single notes in various lengths (staccato, portato, looped sustains), with and without vibrato, legato performances, portamentos, repetitions and trills and even bends and falls. Anyone who has tried to whistle once might have noticed that an accurate performance and recording is not an easy task at all. Now simply select one of our performance patches within the Vienna Instruments (PRO) player and you’ll be impressed with the stunning proficiency and realism of Marcus’ great live performance!
- SHORT + LONG NOTES: Staccato / Portato short and medium / Portato long, with medium and strong vibrato / Sustained, with and without vibrato / Sustained marcato, with and without vibrato / Trills, half and whole tone / Falls / Bends up, with and without vibrato / Bends up-down
- DYNAMICS: Crescendo-diminuendo, 2, 4, 6 sec
- PERF INTERVAL: Legato, with and without vibrato / Fast portamento, with and without vibrato / Slow portamento, with and without vibrato / Trill performances
- PERF REPETITION: Legato repetitions, with and without vibrato / Portato repetitions / Staccato repetitions
- PC Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- Mac OS X 10.8 (latest update) or higher, Intel Core 2 Duo
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- VIENNA KEY (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
- 2.0 GB free hard drive space for the Standard Library, 2.0 GB for the Full Library
- Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- Mac OS X 10.9 (or higher), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- 4 GB RAM
- SSD or fast separate hard drive (7200 rpm or faster)
- AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host (also works stand-alone)
- RTAS version requires Pro Tools 7.3 or higher
- AAX version requires Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher
- 88 key master keyboard