The Universal Audio Apollo 16 is their flagship 24-bit/192 kHz audio interface, delivering world-class conversion with 16 x 16 analog I/O — twice the analog connectivity of the original Apollo model. This uncompromising Thunderbolt/FireWire* interface combines superior sound and flexible routing with powerful onboard UAD-2 QUAD processing. So you can track audio in real time through the full range of classic UAD analog emulation plug-ins — from Neve, Studer, Manley, Lexicon and more** — on both Mac and Windows 7.
With its professional connectivity and multi-unit cascading (for 32 x 32 analog I/O), the Apollo 16 sets a new standard in high-resolution recording with classic analog sound.
- UA’s flagship Thunderbolt/FireWire audio interface for Mac and Windows 7***
- 16 x 16 analog I/O via DB-25 connectors — ideal for use with mixing consoles, outboard preamps, etc.
- Realtime UAD-2 QUAD processing for low-latency (sub-2ms) tracking and mixing w/ UAD Powered Plug-Ins
- Four stereo Cue mixes with fully assignable outputs
- Multi-unit cascading over MADI merges two Apollo 16 units for 32 x 32 analog I/O
- PT Mode allows easy insertion of outboard analog hardware in Pro Tools
- Includes dedicated XLR monitor outs and stereo AES-EBU digital I/O
- Includes Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-in bundle, featuring the UA 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, Precision Enhancer Hz, Softube Amp Room Essentials, plus Legacy versions of the Fairchild 670 Compressor, Teletronix LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, Pultec Pro EQ Plug-In, and more
- Full recall of interface settings in DAW sessions via Console Recall plug-in (VST/RTAS/AU/AAX 64)
- Full compatibility with UAD-2 DSP Accelerator systems
World-Class 24-bit/192 kHz Conversion
Apollo 16 brings a true “no compromise” approach to every aspect of its audio signal path. Building upon decades of UA hardware expertise, it features meticulous analog circuit design, top-end converters, and DC-coupled outputs — providing the lowest THD and highest dynamic range of any converter in its class. Specifically, the Apollo 16’s deep, wide soundstage, and its exceptionally open and transparent sound, makes it the ideal centerpiece for professional recording studios.
Realtime UAD Plug-In Processing for Tracking, Mixing, and Mastering
With its standard UAD-2 QUAD processing onboard, Apollo 16 allows recording in real time through UAD Powered Plug-Ins — with as low as sub-2ms latency — so you can monitor, audition, and “print” audio through stunning analog emulations from Ampex, Lexicon, Manley, Neve, Roland, SSL, Studer, and more. Better still, Apollo 16’s UAD plug-ins are also available during mixing and mastering, so that music producers can employ UAD plug-ins (VST/RTAS/AU/AAX 64) throughout the creative process.
Expandable 16 x 16 Analog Connectivity with Advanced Routing
Apollo 16 boasts straightforward 16 x 16 analog I/O via convenient DB-25 connections — perfect for pairing with mixing consoles, outboard processors, cue/headphone systems, and more. Two Apollo 16 units can be cascaded over MADI for an expanded system with eight UAD processors and 32 x 32 simultaneous analog I/O, capable of handling large professional mixes. Dedicated XLR monitor outputs and stereo AES-EBU digital I/O round out the Apollo 16’s rear-panel audio connections.
Thunderbolt 2™ Connectivity for Macs
Apollo 16 offers compatibility with Intel’s high-bandwidth Thunderbolt technology on Mac. Available via the included dual-port Thunderbolt 2 Option Card, Thunderbolt provides for blazing-fast PCIe audio speed and rock-solid performance on modern Macs.
Because Thunderbolt offers many times the bandwidth of FireWire, it allows studios to connect numerous devices in series with the Apollo interface — including hard drives, processors, and 4k resolution displays — all with fast, flawless performance. Thunderbolt also makes it easy to expand UAD plug-in processing power via a Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis with UAD-2 DSP Accelerator card(s).
Deeper Integration with Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase and More
Apollo 16’s Core Audio and ASIO drivers ensure compatibility with all major DAWs, including Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, and more. The included Console application and companion Console Recall plug-in (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX 64) provide control and recall of all interface and UAD plug-in settings within your DAW sessions, even months and years later. “PT Mode” allows easier insertion of external hardware in Pro Tools, and the Virtual I/O feature allows Realtime UAD Processing of DAW tracks and virtual instruments.
Hardware Design and Workflow
Apollo 16 boasts numerous design details that give you a fast, natural workflow — and better results. Its Monitor outputs are digitally controlled analog, so you don't lose audio resolution when you adjust gain. More than 195 high-visibility LEDs provide full input and output metering, and with zero “hot spots” or light bleed. All front controls and rear-panel connections are professional-grade. And finally, standalone operation means that you can use Apollo’s audio connections, and last-used DSP mixer settings, even without a computer connected.
* Thunderbolt 2 option is Mac-only. Thunderbolt connectivity will disable Firewire connectivity — they cannot be used simultaneously.
** All trademarks are recognized as property of their respective owners. Individual UAD Powered Plug-Ins sold separately.
*** Requires Windows 7 64-bit edition operating system and a qualified PCIe-to-FireWire adapter.