The TELEFUNKEN ELA M 251 amplifier circuit was originally built to satisfy the standardized requirements of the German and Austrian national broadcast systems after World War II. Utilizing a TELEFUNKEN AC701 vacuum tube, a CK12 capsule provided by AKG Acoustics GmbH, and a Haufe made T14:1 ratio output transformer, the ELA M 251 has achieved legendary stature in the modern recording industry.
Developed specifically for microphone applications, the AC701 is a sub-miniature triode vacuum tube that produces a very rich and opulent tone. Built from a glass enclosure, its characteristics include a very low self-noise floor, a low degree of microphonics, and a propensity for an exceptionally long life (so long as the voltages provided by the power supply were correct and stable) which meant far less maintenance and consistent results.
Today, prime examples of vintage ELA M 250 / 251 [both "E" and "non E"] microphones have become rare and highly sought after jewels, commanding tens of thousands of dollars on the vintage market. TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik's historic recreations of the ELA M 251 exemplify the best qualities of the finest specimens of these legendary beasts, and while more expensive than most modern microphones, they are true to the heritage of their 50+ year old brethren.
The new TELEFUNKEN ELA M 251 includes an edge terminated, dual backplate CK12 capsule capable of cardioid, omnidirectional, and biirectional polar patterns and a European made Haufe 14:1 ratio output transformer (the same design found in the AKG Acoustics GmbH C-12). Each reissue is 100% true in every detail to the original [the parts are interchangeable with the 50+ year old originals], and will deliver the same sonically opulent response that made the ELA M 251 one of the world's most sought after recording tools.
In the Box: ELA M 251 microphone, M950 power supply, M850 25' quad-shielded Accusound ACX-7 tube microphone cable, M750 elastic shock mount, FC50 locking flight case and WB50 wooden microphone box.
- Type: condenser pressure gradient
- Capsule: CK12
- Frequency Range: 20Hz / 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid and Omni
- Sensitivity: approx 1.2 mvolts per dyne / cm sq
- THD at 1kHz at 1Pa: <0.15%
- Output Impedance: <200 ohms
- Maximum SPL: 132 dB
- Non Linear Distortion: less than or equal to 0.5% at 100 dyne / cm sq
- Self Noise: 7dBA
- Tube Type: AC701
- Power Type: Dedicated American-made power supply with slow-ramping filament voltage
- Dimensions: 8 1/2" (216mm) length x 2" (51mm) diameter
- Weight: 20oz (567g), 34oz (960g) with swivel
- Supply Current: <1mA(4V) 100mA
- Connected Via: Large Tuchel/Historic stand mount swivel, XLR-3 (M) output