Steve Kempster is one of the top producers, engineers and film scoring mixer's in the music and film industry. We asked him if he would take time out of his busy schedule to share with us (and you!) what his favorite pieces of gear are. And he did!
Most important possessions: "A degree of sanity, clarity, and humility. The desire to give it all you've got and the ability to walk away. Separating what's good for the project from what's good for yourself. The desire to keep learning and the skill to use what you know. "
Partial List of Album Credits: National Treasure - Original Score (recorded and mixed) Remember the Titans - Soundtrack (producer, engineer, mixer) Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way (orchestra recording) Bourne Supremacy - Soundtrack (recorded and mixed) Lion King on Broadway - (recorded and mixed) Grammy winner Training Day - Soundtrack (recorded and mixed) Armageddon - Score Soundtrack (produced, recorded, and mixed) Tarzan - Soundtrack (recorded and mixed) Grammy winner Brother Bear - Soundtrack (recorded and mixed) Maid in Manhattan - Soundtrack (recorded and mixed) Mariah Carey - Charmbracelet (orchestra recording) Emerson Lake and Palmer - Live at Royal Albert Hall (recorded and mixed) Emerson Lake and Palmer - Black Moon (recorded and mixed)
Partial Film Score Credits: Bridge to Terabithia (2007) Deck The Halls (2006) The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006) Brother Bear 2 (2006) Big Momma's House (2006) The Great Raid (2005) Asylum (2005) Tarzan II (2005) Coach Carter (2005) National Treasure (2004) Eulogy (2004) A Dirty Shame (2004) Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) The Bourne Supremacy (2004) Mean Girls (2004) Secret Window (2004) The Lion King 1 1/2 (2004) The Haunted Mansion (2004) Brother Bear (2003) Bad Boys 2 (2003) Maid in Manhattan (2002) The Santa Clause 2 (2002) Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) John Q. (2002) Training Day (2001) Remember the Titans (2000) Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) Deep Blue Sea (1999) Tarzan (1999) Jack Frost (1998) Enemy of the State (1998) Armageddon (1998) Twister (1997) Con Air (1997)
Steve's Favorite Gear:
- ATC 100's Monitors with ATC 1/15 Pro Sub
- Neumann U47, Um57, M49, M150's, Sm-2, Km 53's/54's Microphones
- Brauner VM-1, KHE's & VM-1's Microphones
- AEA, Royer and Coles Ribbon Microphones
- Neve 1073's, GML mic pre/eq's, and Focusrite ISA 215's for records
- Avalon and Millennia Mic Pre's for scoring
- Manley Variable MU's and Slam's with digi i/o's
- Redd 47 & Mercury Eq's for tube glory
- Neve 2254e, EAR 660's, Chiswick Reach, and Innertube Atomic Squeeze Box for gentle to massive smashing
- Millennia NSEQ-2 and Avalon EQ's for very musical sounding equalization for scoring
- T.C. Electronic 6000's for doing everything digital and opening new doors every day!