Steinberg Cubase 8.5 condenses almost three decades of Steinberg expertise into the most cutting-edge digital audio workstation anywhere. The users of our flagship DAW are among the most successful artists on the globe - from engineers recording and mixing rock albums to dance DJs, hip hop producers, songwriters creating pop hits or film composers scoring for Hollywood blockbusters. Cubase combines industry-leading sound quality, intuitive handling and a range of advanced audio and MIDI tools for composition, recording, editing and mixing.
- State-of-the-art music production system used by countless professionals around the world
- Award-winning 32-bit floating-point Steinberg audio engine with up to 192 kHz, 5.1 surround, flexible routing and full automatic delay compensation
- Unlimited audio, instrument and MIDI tracks
- MixConsole for the ultimate mixing experience, presenting unmatched flexibility and integrated EQ/Dynamics channel strip modules for an epic, pro console sound
- Comprehensive set of 8 outstanding instruments with over 3,400 sounds, including HALion Sonic SE 2 workstation, Padshop granular synth, Retrologue 2 virtual analog synth, LoopMash 2 and Groove Agent SE 4 drum machine
- Complete suite of 73 high-end audio and 18 MIDI VST effect processors, including Quadrafuzz v2, VST Amp Rack and VST Bass Amp guitar and bass tone suites, REVerence convolution reverb, Voxengo CurveEQ and many more
- VCA faders for complex mixing and automation workflows, TrackVersions for playlists-like editing and render-in-place for simplified editing tasks
- VariAudio for MIDI-style note editing of monophonic audio tracks and automatic voicing harmonization and auto-tuning effect
- Chord track and pads for easy chord management and re-harmonizing plus intelligent composing assistance for generating beautiful chord sequences
- Steinberg VST Connect SE 3 and VST Transit cloud collaboration service
- Professional music notation and score printing
Steinberg has pioneered many aspects of MIDI sequencing on a computer, and tools such as the Score, Drum and List Editors have become indispensable to modern music production. With easy-to-use editing and innovative composing and notation tools, Cubase offers the most complete MIDI composing and sequencing toolset available today.
At the heart of MIDI sequencing in Cubase is the Key Editor: a breathtakingly powerful yet transparent tool that opens up virtually limitless possibilities for songwriters and composers. The Key Editor is the place where melodies, chords, arrangements and performances take shape and where ideas are sketched out, developed and taken to their full potential. Based on more than three decades of experience, the Key Editor comes with an ultra-intuitive handling and highly accurate tools.
The Score Editor is a professional notation environment with full support for just about all symbol, display and editing options that this entails, including support for lyrics and remarks as well as drum notes, guitar tablature and lead sheets. Simply select the tools needed to create fully professional score layouts for others including soloists, orchestras and choirs. The Score Editor includes more than 100 professional notation symbols and supports the import and export of Music XML files.
The Drum Editor is a highly intuitive yet powerful place for constructing and reworking beats, rhythms and grooves, offering a plethora of features to let you come up with the perfect rhythm for your song or production.
The List Editor is a advanced MIDI editing tool that gives fast access to every single aspect of a MIDI note and can be a huge timesaver in complex projects.
VST Expression 2
VST Expression is a groundbreaking technology by Steinberg that provides an ultra-intuitive way of working with instrument articulations, dynamics and multiple controller values. Its second generation is based on three core technologies: Note Expression, Expression Maps and VST Dynamics. Expression Maps help you work with musical articulations, while VST Dynamics allow for highly intuitive handling of dynamics.
On top of this, Note Expression offers a revolutionary approach to create and edit multiple controller values in a single graphical interface, directly on the note they belong to — an invaluable feature for demanding orchestral arrangements as well as cutting-edge electronic music.
Cubase features a global Chord Track to facilitate working with chords in a project context and enables transform and harmonize functions throughout the application. Advanced voicing options are used to reflect any changes made to the Chord Track to both MIDI and audio tracks processed with VariAudio in a harmonically correct and ear-pleasing way.
You don't have to be a musical genius to lay down beautiful harmonies when you're using Cubase. The powerful Chord Assistant helps you to generate everything from simple pop to complex jazz chord sequences that just sound great. Want to specify both the first and final chords but have no clue how to get there? This, also, is possible. The Chord Assistant lists chord suggestions from which you can choose.
Chord pads are a great way to playfully and creatively compose with chords. Jam with chords and patterns in real time and remote control multiple parameters to change chords on the fly. The chord pads are playable via a MIDI keyboard and real-time parameters allow you to easily improvise chord performances by changing voicings, tensions and more as you go.
Steinberg’s wealth of engineering experience in digital audio stretching back over nearly three decades provides the basis for its state-of-the-art recording capabilities. With its emphasis not only on technology but also on user friendliness and ergonomics, Cubase provides everything you need to record your audio with ease and utmost quality.
Next-generation audio engine
The award-winning Cubase audio engine delivers a crystal-clear 32-bit floating-point resolution and 192 kHz sample rate, with a pristine sound quality that is the hallmark of the Cubase music production experience. And the Cubase audio engine also includes true surround capability throughout, with each track and channel offering up to six discreet channels, ready for 5.1 surround.
- Retrospective Record: no take ever gets lost because record mode wasn’t engaged in time
- Exemplary FX handling: any VST plug-in can be recorded with the signal, or simply used for monitoring while the untouched, pristine signal is recorded in Cubase
- Intuitive user interface supports even the largest recording rigs, with easy-to-use folders, customizable Track views and custom color schemes for Tracks that differentiate track types at a glance
- Effortless I/O handling: the VST Connections window allows you to not only setup custom I/O setups and customize port names but also switch between different I/O setups on the fly
- Re-record mode: simply hit the record button again and the recording will start from the original position preserving the original pre-count and metronome settings
VariAudio offers completely integrated vocal editing and pitch alteration of individual notes in monophonic vocal recordings and can solve intonation and timing problems with a few clicks. Editing vocal lines in the Sample Editor is just as seamless and quick as if editing MIDI notes in the Key Editor.
The full integration with the Chord Track ensures correct pitch to your harmonies at all times! This interaction also lets you harmonize your lead vocals in beautifully composed choral arrangements. Plus, you can even edit multiple VariAudio parts across multiple tracks within one editor only. And yes, the popular autotuning effect is no big deal!