Why choose an eSATA card? External storage and professional SSD readers often have two or more interfaces from which to choose, including FireWire®, USB, and eSATA. Your computer has USB ports, may have FireWire ports, and maybe even a Thunderbolt port, too. So if you can just plug into your computer's existing ports, why consider an eSATA card? Performance and cost. Consider the facts that the 6 Gb/s eSATA interface offers superior throughput to that of all FireWire and USB interfaces, and Thunderbolt storage systems carry a price premium over eSATA storage systems. The Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb 4-Port card is a cost-effective way to add four high-performance bootable eSATA ports to your computer so you can take advantage of this fast interface.
Storage systems with an eSATA interface offer great flexibility. Single-drive enclosures let you easily back up data, move files from one computer to another, or take advantage of a fast SSD. Many multi-drive storage systems include swappable drive trays, which are perfect for managing daily backups and multiple projects. Some systems, like Sonnet's Fusion™ R400SRAID and Fusion F3, feature integrated hardware RAID controllers that manage up to four drives and enable you to create large, protected RAID volumes, yet only a single cable is required to connect these multi-drive systems to this pro eSATA card. Featuring four ports and dual SATA controllers, this Sonnet card enables you to connect multiple systems for fast transfers between them or to improve performance by creating RAID sets from two or more systems. Whether you connect single- or multi-drive systems, or a combination of both, Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb 4-Port supports them at maximum performance levels.
Sonnet's Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb 4-Port's fast, 6 Gb/s eSATA interface easily handles the increased bandwidth requirements of 6 Gb/s SSDs. Built around a second generation 6Gb SATA chipset, it offers greatly improved performance over older 6 Gb eSATA cards and is capable of transferring files from a single SSD at up to 500 MB/s. Even greater performance (up to 1,300 MB/s!) is possible when you connect four SSDs and format them as a RAID 0 set. Increased onboard cache enables this Sonnet controller to perform even better in the latest computers as well as in Sonnet's Echo™ Express Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis for PCIe cards or xMac™ mini Server.
- Cost-effective solution for adding high-performance 6 Gb/s eSATA ports to your Mac® Pro, desktop PC, or Thunderbolt expansion chassis with PCI Express® 2.0 slots
- PCI Express 2.0 x4 host bus interface and high-performance SATA controller
- Superior performance with aggregate data transfers speeds up to 1300 MB/sec
- Card optimized to maximize performance over Thunderbolt—perfect for use in Sonnet's Echo Express Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis for PCIe cards
- Supports OS X and Windows RAID features
- Supports drive hot-swapping under OS X®
- Supports booting from attached drives OS X and Windows 7 and 8 (see Tech Specs for details)
- Supports ATAPI (DVD-ROM) drives
- AHCI compliant—no drivers required
- Supports S.M.A.R.T. data reporting
- Supports Sonnet-exclusive locking eSATA data cables