Today’s ultra-light notebooks, mini, and all-in-one desktop computers now have tremendous processing power—power that many thought would only be possible in full-size workstation or large desktop computers. For pros in the creative fields, processing power alone is not enough. Take the latest Mac Pro®. Reviewers love its performance, but make a point of mentioning its lack of internal expansion capabilities compared to the old towers the new model replaces. If you want to add more capabilities, think external—the latest Pro is loaded with Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 ports, but it lacks the PCIe expansion slots necessary for you to install specialty audio, video, networking, and storage controller interface cards. With the Echo Express SE I, Sonnet has created a solution that leverages the paradigm shift enabled by Thunderbolt technology, allowing PCIe expansion slots to be connected outside a computer. This desktop Thunderbolt 2-to-PCIe card expansion system is ideal for connecting one professional video capture, audio interface, SAS or SATA HBA, 16Gb or 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10Gigabit Ethernet, or RAID controller PCIe card to any Mac® or Windows® PC(1) with a Thunderbolt port.
The Sonnet Echo Express SE I is small, light, and perfect for use in situations where connecting only a single PCIe card is needed. Measuring a compact 5.6 inches wide by 8.6 inches long by 3.5 inches tall, the SE I was designed to have a small footprint, yet large enough to support the vast majority of Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe cards. The SE I’s small size doesn’t limit its performance; installed in this system, a card will perform the same as when installed in an Echo Express SE II, Echo Express III-D, or Echo Express III-R.
- Use a PCIe Expansion Card with Computers Lacking Slots—Use high-performance PCIe cards with any Mac or Windows PC with a Thunderbolt port
- Compact and Light—Take up little space on the desktop, but large enough to accommodate most Thunderbolt-compatible cards
- Thunderbolt 2 Interface—Maximum performance with computers with Thunderbolt 2 technology, backward compatible with host computers and other devices equipped with 10Gbps Thunderbolt technology
- Upgradeable—When available, upgrade to 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Technology with a replacement Thunderbolt interface card
- One PCIe Slot—Supports one half-length+ (up to 7.75 inches long), full-height, single-width PCIe card (plus one daughter card)
- Two Thunderbolt 2 Ports—Daisy chain up to six devices to a single port on the host computer
- Remarkably Quiet—Temperature-controlled, variable-speed fan automatically and quietly cools the card
- Rugged Aluminum Housing—Provides robust and secure protection for any environment