The sE Electronics sE5 is a powerful, sleek condenser fit for almost any task. The sE5 comes from a lineage of fantastically versatile small-diaphragm condensers, and takes the best elements of them all to become a mic greater than the sum of its influences.
sE has taken the sE5's predecessor, the sE4, and redesigned it from the capsule right through to the XLR connector. The sE5 sets the new standard for small diaphragm microphones at its price, and is perfect for any use - studio or live. With an even smoother full-range frequency response and improved transient handling, it is the perfect choice for recording drums, percussion, pianos and any stringed acoustic instrument.
The sE5's cardioid polar pattern delivers a clean and smooth on-axis response, with off-axis rejection that's essential when recording the source instrument in-situ among unwanted noise sources such as other instruments or room ambience.
100hz Bass Cut Filter
The sE5's 100Hz bass cut can be applied to decrease the level of proximity effect, which is typical behavior in cardioid pattern microphones if placed very close to the sound source, or to isolate from low frequency rumble from other sources.
-10dB / -20dB Pad
The two pad switches can be used if you're recording a very ‘hot’ (loud) signal. For miking up loud sound sources such as drums or a guitar cabinet, the -10dB or -20dB settings will reduce the level output from the microphone to the connected microphone preamp, ensuring a high quality signal is delivered.
Matte Black Finish
The matte black finish minimizes the level of visual attention drawn to the microphone when used on stage or in the studio, allowing it to blend into the background.
Custom Shock Mount
Every sE5 includes a custom-designed shock mount in the box, which is essential in use to reduce the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand. The mounting mechanism is sprung, for quick and easy insertion or removal of the mic.
- Capsule Type: Hand-Crafted True Condenser
- Diaphragm: 23mm Gold/Mylar
- Directional Pattern: Cardioid (omni w/ capsule)
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity (cardioid): 19.95 mV/Pa (-34dB)
- Sensitivity (omni): 17.78 mV/Pa (-35dB)
- Max SPL: 139/149/159 dB (0/-10/-20 dB pad) (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 80 dB (cardioid), 79 dB (omni)
- Self Noise: 14 dB(A) (cardioid), 15 dB(A) (omni)
- Pass Filter Switch: 100 Hz
- Preattenuation Pad: -10/-20 dB
- Matching Connectors: XLR3F
- Power requirement: 48V phantom
- Weight: 230g / 8.11oz