The Schoeps WSC ORTF Surround LM consists of the basket-type windscreen, an elastic suspension and a fur-like overcoat. Microphones are not comprised. The “ORTF Surround” recording method is a new system for the pickup of surround ambience. This microphone arrangement and its sonic characteristics are quite similar to those of the well-known “IRT Cross“ designed by Günther Theile. Both the 360° imaging and the spatial impression are of optimal quality. This is achieved with a high degree of signal separation among channels, based both on arrival-time differences and level differences.
The ORTF Surround arrangement has been designed so that the entire arrangement can be conveniently mounted in a single elastic suspension, and share a single windscreen. It differs from the IRT Cross arrangement by being rectangular rather than square. Its pickup regions are correctly apportioned through careful choice of the angles and distances among the microphones.
- For outdoor ORTF Surround
- Windscreen is part of the ORTF Surround Outdoor Set
- Optimal imaging characteristics like those of the “IRT Cross”:
- For use with four Schoep CCM 41 L supercardioids (not included)
- Applications: sporting events, film sound, etc.