This capsule type is a true dipole (bidirectional) transducer, operating with a single diaphragm. Its main axis is at a right angle to the capsule, and is marked at 0° and 180° with a red and a black dot respectively.
- Pure pressure-gradient transducer
- Figure-8 pattern with near-ideal consistency across the frequency range
- Side-addressed (pickup perpendicular to the microphone body)
- Optimal for use in M/S and Blumlein stereo recording
The Schoeps CMC 6 Amplifier is designed for standard 48- and 12-Volt phantom powering. Its circuitry recognizes the supply voltage and adjusts itself automatically. Its performance characteristics remain essentially the same either way; mainly, the difference is that the current drawn at 12 Volts is greater than at 48 Volts. However, the 12-Volt mode consumes less power and might be preferred for battery-powered recording.
- Flat frequency response
- Extremely low noise and distortion
- Balanced, very low-impedance output
- Can be used with very long cables
- Well-protected against RFI
- For use with 12- or 48-Volt phantom powering
The two amplifiers in a stereo pair of microphones should be of the same type. On request, Schoeps can select ”matched pairs” of capsules with equal sensitivity and frequency response for critical applications, at slight additional cost.