The MK 4 is Schoeps' best-selling capsule. It offers the highest sound quality, flat frequency response, optimal rejection of rear-incident sound, and a directional pattern that remains constant throughout the audio frequency range. In the diffuse sound field it shows only a mild rise around 10 kHz; the sonic impression thus remains free of coloration even when sound is arriving from all sides at once. The sonic impression is thus free of coloration whether sound is arriving at the front or at the sides of the microphone, as well as for diffuse sound (reverberation) in a room.
For those who dare to use their ears rather than just their eyes when choosing a vocal microphone, a Colette microphone using the MK 4 capsule can be a remarkable instrument.
- Classic cardioid
- Suitable for the widest range of applications, either as a spot microphone or for stereo recording with coincident, ORTF or M/S microphone arrangements
- With consistent directionality throughout its frequency range
- Often preferred for singing or speaking voices and most instruments
The Schoeps CMC 6 Amplifier is designed for standard 48- and 12-Volt phantom powering. Its circuitry recognizes the supply voltage and adjusts itself automatically. Its performance characteristics remain essentially the same either way; mainly, the difference is that the current drawn at 12 Volts is greater than at 48 Volts. However, the 12-Volt mode consumes less power and might be preferred for battery-powered recording.
- Flat frequency response
- Extremely low noise and distortion
- Balanced, very low-impedance output
- Can be used with very long cables
- Well-protected against RFI
- For use with 12- or 48-Volt phantom powering
The two amplifiers in a stereo pair of microphones should be of the same type. On request, Schoeps can select ”matched pairs” of capsules with equal sensitivity and frequency response for critical applications, at slight additional cost.