The Schoeps CMIT M/S Set consists of:
- CMIT 5 U "Shotgun" microphone
- CCM 8 Lg (figure-8 for the side channel)
- WSR MS CMIT LU basket-type windscreen (Rycote Size "AF") including cabling, Windjammer and Connbox, double clamp
- Breakout cable AK SU/2U
The CMIT 5 is SCHOEPS' shotgun microphone which has set a new standard for shotgun microphones since its release. The CMIT 5's directionality increases smoothly with higher frequencies, which results in a very balanced sonic character. In addition to this, the microphone's sound level decreases softly yet steadily for off-axis sounds, allowing these to be recorded neutrally as well as reducing the effects of movement during boom operation. The CMIT 5 also has a much stronger directionality than one might expect from a microphone of its length. If required, the CMIT 5 can also be used for music recordings, for example opera recordings.
- Unusually low coloration of off-axis sound
- Suitable for music recording as well as dialogue
- Rotationally symmetrical polar pattern
- Even greater immunity to wind noise than a SCHOEPS supercardoid
- Very lightweight, robust all-metal housing
This capsule type is a true dipole (bidirectional) transducer, operating with a single diaphragm. Its main axis is at a right angle to the capsule, and is marked at 0° and 180° with a red and a black dot respectively.
The inherent qualities of a pure pressure-gradient transducer are readily observed in this capsule type:
- Its sensitivity decreases at low frequencies
- The directional characteristic is extraordinarily independent of frequency
- Proximity effect is present
The directivity index of a figure-8 pattern is the same as that of a cardioid; if microphones with these two patterns are placed at the same distance from a sound source, a quantitatively similar balance of direct and reverberant sound would be picked up. In practice such a comparison would be deceptive, however, since a figure-8 does not respond to sound coming from the sides, from above or from beneath its main axis as does a cardioid. The figure-8 has a rear lobe equal in sensitivity to its front lobe, and this exactly makes up the quantitative difference – but in normally reverberant settings, the sound reaching a figure-8's rear lobe will be delayed and dispersed to a considerably greater extent than the reverberant sound energy which a cardioid picks up from its front and sides; the reflected sound will typically be subject to far more high frequency absorption as well. Thus the reverberant sound energy picked up by a figure-8, though theoretically equal in amount, is quite different in character from that which would be picked up by a cardioid in the same position.
The sound quality of the MK 8 is clear and neutral. The frequency response rolls off above 16 kHz.
- Pure pressure-gradient transducer
- Figure-8 pattern with near-ideal consistency across the frequency range
- Side-addressed (pickup perpendicular to the microphone body)
- Optimal for use in M/S and Blumlein stereo recording
Rycote Stereo Windshield AG Kit
Rycote is proud to offer the iconic, professional-standard Windshield and Shock Mount system specifically engineered for stereo microphone configurations. With variable levels of wind protection and maximum shock isolation, these systems are designed for precision microphone placement. In addition to single-point stereo microphones, we have models specifically designed for use with pencil, shotgun, and compact microphones in MS, XY or ORTF configurations.
The Stereo Windshield is a lightweight, durable basket made from flexible grey plastic netting with a screening material attached. Designed for use with the various suspensions, this system provides excellent wind-noise reduction of up to 30 dB with minimal High-Frequency loss.
- Stereo Windshield
- Stereo Suspension
- Stereo Windjammer
- Connbox is included with select kits, available with others (see chart below)
- Boom Pole Adaptor
- XLR Holder
- Pistol Grip
- Brush for fur maintenance
- Hex Head Key
Rycote Connbox 8
Isolates cable noise on cameras, can be easily mounted on microphone holders, suitable thomann for Schoeps CMIT-5u + CCM M/S stereo pair.