The R-121 was developed through relatively recent advancements in magnetics, materials and mechanical construction techniques. The ribbon element's smooth frequency response and phase linearity, coupled with sensitivity levels surpassing those of "classic" ribbons, make this microphone an ideal choice for digital recording. The R121 delivers a consistent, natural acoustical performance with stunning realism. Widely used on electric guitars, brass instruments and drums, the R-121's figure-8 pattern also conveys superb ambiance and depth when used for room miking applications, orchestral and choral recordings.
The heart of the R 121 is its low mass, 2.5-micron, pure (99.99%) aluminum ribbon element. The R-121’s unique, patented offset-ribbon transducer assembly incorporates rare earth Neodymium magnets in a specially designed flux-frame, which forms a powerful magnetic field while reducing unwanted stray magnetic radiation.
The R-121’s offset-ribbon design positions the ribbon element towards the front of the microphone body, which allows for higher SPL handling on the front (logo) side and the option of a brighter response when recording lower SPL sound sources on the back side (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position).
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element unaffected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Gold plated XLR contacts
- Close miking
- Electric & acoustic guitar
- Drum overheads, kick drum (see manual for position), room miking
- Percussion instruments
- Brass, horn sections
- Strings - solo & sections
- Acoustic piano
- Live events – recording and sound reinforcement