When the Recording Academy awarded the 2013 Technical Grammy to Royer Labs, they stated that Royer Labs “…single-handedly brought ribbon microphones into mainstream recording.” The R-121 Platinum Edition microphone commemorates their Grammy Award and the resurgence of the ribbon microphone in modern recording.
This unique R-121 is plated in pure platinum to mirror the finish on the Technical Grammy, and each microphone ships with a certificate of authenticity personally signed by David Royer. Only 200 of these microphones are being produced.
Because they will be seen by many clients as collectors pieces, a pair of white cotton handling gloves are packed with each microphone.
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element unaffected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Gold plated XLR contacts