- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion
- Multi-layered wind screen provides superior protection to ribbon element
- No internal electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
The R-101 incorporates Royer's patented offset-ribbon technology and a low mass, 2.5-micron aluminum (99.9% pure) ribbon element. The ribbon transducer's flux-frame and rare earth Neodymium magnets create a powerful magnetic field which increases sensitivity while reducing stray magnetic radiation.
The R-101's offset-ribbon transducer (Patent # 6,434,252) positions the ribbon element towards the front (logo) side of the microphone body. This proprietary arrangement gives the ribbon element more room to move within the prime magnetic field and maintain full frequency response during high SPL recordings. It's an integral part of the magic in all Royer R-series microphones.
The offset-ribbon transducer also gives you the option of a brighter response when recording lower SPL sound sources on the back side (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position). The back side of the mic is often preferred on vocals, acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments.
Like all Royer mics, the R-101 comes with a lifetime warranty to the original owner and the first re-ribbon is free.