The AES-32's remarkable features include:
- Support for 192 kHz at full channel count
- Native support for Double and Quad Wire transfer
- Direct conversion between these formats
- SteadyClock for highest jitter suppression and clock regeneration
- Intuitive and clearly laid-out user interface
- TotalMix: 512 channel mixer with 40 bit internal resolution
- 48 level meter Peak/RMS, hardware-computed
The card's main board contains word clock I/O and a 25-pin D-sub plug, providing four AES inputs (XLR-F) and four AES outputs (XLR-M) via standard digital breakout cable (Tascam pinout). The word clock input is galvanically isolated via transformer and operates on Single, Double and Quad Speed signals automatically. The expansion board adds audio channels 9-16 and a connector for a MIDI breakout cable with two MIDI I/Os (four 5-pin DIN connectors). It does not require a PCI slot.
Thanks to the DSP-based TotalMix mixer, all 16 inputs and outputs can be routed to 16 physical outputs freely, offering extraordinary monitoring capabilities. Up to 8 fully independent stereo submixes can be created. Routings can be copied and pasted, faders ganged and grouped, which, along with the amazing matrix window, turns the AES-32 into a powerful and easy-to-use redistributor, patchbay, router, converter, and splitter. The hardware-based mixer is fully MIDI-controllable. Furthermore, the DSP hardware calculates RMS and peak level meters for all 48 audio channels, with no measurable CPU load.