The RaingerFx Air Traffic Controller mixes a Rainger FX optimum distortion circuit with a white noise ‘hiss’ generator then sends the sound through a low pass filter. The cut-off frequency of the filter is controlled in three possible ways; by the envelope of the note (the volume), the pitch of the note, or in a random mode.
This gives variations ranging from a biting edgy funk tone, to airy whisps of sound (hence the name), from fusiony solo-ing with ‘synth tracking’ to dense shoe-gazey walls of distortion, guitar/electronic-percussion morphing… It’s a hugely flexible palette of sounds that’s never been possible before.
The white noise hiss mimics the dynamics of the guitar sound – loud at the start of the note, then dying away to total silence when the guitar does too. For a pedal with such a lot going on it’s incredibly quiet when it should be.
‘Distort’ adjusts the amount of distortion, ‘Air – Signal’ controls the blend of guitar to white noise (ranging from only guitar, to only white noise, and everything in between). ‘Resonance’ adjusts how noticeable the cut-off frequency is, while ‘Level’ decides the output volume.
The top end panel has a three-way rotary knob for filter-controlling options, a ‘DC in’ socket, and a ‘Hi/Lo’ button to allow for whether your guitar is passive or active (or keyboard use).
The ‘runway landing lights’ display pattern runs when a signal is present.
- Guitar overdrive with unique synthy edge
- High resonance low-pass filter
- White noise-to-signal bend control
- A whole new approach to 'synth' effect pedals
- Retains the underlying character and tone of your guitar
- Three different ways of controlling the filter; peak, pith and random
- HI/LO button for adapting to high output guitar/keyboards
- Fantastic for wide-ranging styles of music including techno-rock, fusion/funk, shoegaze, electro, synth-pop, noise, etc...
- Runway landing lights in a moving pattern to ensure safe landing
- Deeply cool 'control panel' steel enclosure (RaingerFx custom asymmetrical design)
- Powered by 9 V battery or power supply unit
- True bypass foot-switching