The ProAc Studio 100 was produced for over 20 years until 2013 and during this time engrained itself as one of the all time “studio standards” in monitoring. It’s natural un-hyped response, punchy low frequencies, and excellent imaging made it a favorite of many top level recording and mix engineers worldwide.
For the last 2 years Stewart Tyler has been laboring to improve his classic design while retaining all the best characteristics of the original, and finally we introduce you to the ProAc SM100. It has a new and improved bass driver with a upgraded surround material and dust cap along with a brand new 1 inch domed tweeter and crossover network. The bass driver has a rubber surround for longevity and power handling and now comes in a higher quality precision made basket. The tweeter is a new ProAc design with a 1 inch silk dome and a damped front plate for lower distortion; the tweeter dome has a new roll surround as well. To compliment the new driver set, the SM100 also features a new crossover custom tuned to get the most out of the design and uses only the highest quality components.
Overall, the sound quality is similar to the classic and much beloved studio 100 but with a slightly smoother and less fatiguing midrange and high frequency response. The voicing and sound signature is classic ProAc 100 but you can hear more detail, with better depth of sound stage, more precise imaging and less distortion in the highs. It’s a winning design through and through! If you are new to ProAc then you will experience the best studio monitor that they have ever produced; if you are upgrading from a pair of ProAc 100’s then you will love the improvements to your monitoring chain that the SM100’s will bring!
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
- Recommended Amplifiers: 30 to 150 watts
- Frequency Response: 35Hz to 30KHz
- Sensitivity: 88db linear for 1 watt at 1 meter
- Bass/Midrange: Driver 6 1/2 inch treated cone with new rubber surround and basket
- Tweeter: 1 inch (25mm) soft silk dome with special front plate and roll surround
- Crossover: Finest components on dedicated circuit board. Multi-strand oxygen-free copper cable throughout. Split for optional bi-wiring and bi-amping
- Dimensions: 16” height x 8” wide x 10” depth
- Weight: 26lbs (12kg) /cabinet
- Mode: Stand mounted
- Grill: Acoustically transparent crimplene