Two versions are available, the 33609/J and the 33609/JD. Both units offer the legendary Neve sound but with enhanced internal and external I/O switching compared to the originals. The 33609/J uses similar circuits to the vintage 33609/C. The 33609/JD incorporates a 340 discrete output stage as used in the original 33609 design.
The 33609’s combination of transformers and gain reduction element produces a sound quality which is unique amongst compressor limiters. Coupled with the unit’s unparalleled ease of use, this sound quality has made the 33609 a studio standard. Multiple units may be linked for multi-channel operation.
The limiter/compressor is a 2U rack-mounting unit with a clear, uncluttered panel layout. There are independent side chains for the compressor and limiter sections with independent threshold, recovery and attack controls. The compressor features a selection of ratios from 1.5:1 to 6:1 and a gain make-up control that comes before the limiter. Overall gain reduction is indicated on a moving coil meter.
- Gain make up: 0 to 20 dBm
- Separate Limit and Compress switches
- Ratio: more than 100:1
- Level: adjustable from +4 dBm to +15 dBm in increments of 0.5 dBm
- Attack time: 100 ms, 1ms
- Recovery time: 50 ms, 100 ms, 200 ms, 800 ms, Auto 1 & 2
- Ratio: 1.5:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 6:1.
- Threshold: -20 to +10 dBm in 2 dB increments
- Attack time: fixed 5ms
- Recovery time: 100 ms, 400 ms, 800 ms, 1500 ms, Auto 1 & 2