Forty years on, the 2254's successor, the Neve 2254/R mono limiter/compressor represents another milestone.
Not only does it retain the original 2254's unique sonic characteristics - using the same architecture, matching components and original hand-wound transformers - but enhances it with the features that modern-day producers and engineers have asked for. Whereas the original, developed before outboard designs had been standardized, was roughly cubic in shape, the new 2254/R comes in 1U 19” rack-mount form. And the new model allows settings to be saved and recalled using Neve Recall software via USB.
There’s also manual adjustment of Fast Attack Time, continuously variable and fully sweepable between 100µS and 2mS. Plus enhancement of the signal presence LED, which changes from green to red to warn of imminent clipping.
Neve 2254-R Features:
- Classic mono limiter/compressor made to the exacting late-1960’s design
- Hand-made in Burnley, England using original Neve specification transformers
- Original Neve 2254 discreet, Class A circuit design
- Transformer-coupled circuits used in Input, Bridge-driver, Side-chain and Output stages
- Manual Fast Attack Time adjustment and transparent level control
- Independent Limiter In/Out and Compressor In/Out selection
- Total bypass switch
- Multiple units can be linked together to provide multi-unit side-chain control from a single unit
- Compatible with Neve Recall software, simply connect the 2254R using USB to a host PC or Mac running Neve Recall software