The Neumann DMI-8, an eight-channel version of the digital microphone interface, considerably simplifies the setup for multichannel applications.
In addition to the proven functions of the two-channel DMI-2 portable the DMI-8 also offers the following features:
- The capability of cascading up to 128 channels
- D-sub 25 outputs with Tascam® and Yamaha® pin assignments
- Optical ADAT® interface
- Open architecture for later connection to other multi-channel interfaces and audio networks, such as EtherSound® and MADI
The DMI-8 offers several possibilities for easy integration into audio networks. The ES100 (DMI-8) module permits integration into EtherSound networks.
Explanation Mode 2: The DMI performs a frequency/phase comparison between the word clock signal recovered from the mic signal, and the word clock of the DMI. From the phase deviation thus determined, the DMI calculates a control signal which is transmitted via the remote control data stream to the mic, where it controls the frequency of the internal quartz oscillator.
Equipment that supports the AES 42 standard can process the output signals of Solution-D microphones directly. In all other cases, the DMI-2 portable or DMI-8 digital microphone interface is used. The DMIs convert the AES 42 data format supplied by the microphone into an AES/EBU signal.
The Interface is operated and the microphone parameters are controlled via the Neumann RCS remote control software, which is installed on a desktop or laptop computer. The computer is connected to the DMI via a USB port and a USB to RS 485 interface converter. If a large number of microphones is used, several DMI-8's can be cascaded. In this case, each digital microphone interface can be addressed individually.
In addition to a word clock input and output, the DMIs also have an internal word clock generator. If no master word clock signal (e.g. from a mixing console) is present at the input, the DMI internal word clock is used automatically to synchronize the microphone channels, and the signal is switched to the word clock output.
External commands such as "On Air" (red light) can be controlled via a 9-pin user port.
Input and Output:
- AES42 input: 8 x XLR 3F (Audio data in accordance with AES/EBU (AES3) data format, Digital phantom power (DPP) and remote control data
- AES/EBU output (AES3 Data format): 2 x SUB-D25 Yamaha® and Tascam® pinout
- ADAT®: 1 x Toslink, up to 48 kHz
- GN OUT: 1 x RJ 45 (special serial data format developed by GN, used as a gateway for integration in audio networks. The GN signal will be used by Neumann’s Multi Channel Audio Interface (MCA) for converting of the GN data format to formats such as EtherSound®, MADI, etc. (MCA available as option)
- Word Clock (AES11): 2 x BNC for internal and external synchronization
- CTL Bus (RS 485): 2 x RJ 45 ports (connection to computer USB port via the Neumann USB 485 interface converter, connected in parallel for cascading purpose)
- User port: 9-pin SUB-D, 1 switch function per channel (mute and/or Light 1/2 selectable)
- Operating temperature : 0 °C - 45 °C
- Storage temperature: –20 °C - 70 °C
- Relative humidity max: 90 % at 20 °C
- AES42 inputs: 8x XLR3F , Audio data in accordance withAES/EBU (AES3) data format, Digital phantom power (DPP), remote control data
- Phantom power (DPP): +10 V, max 250 mA per channel, short-circuit proof
- Remote control data: Pulses (+2 V), superimposed on the phantom power, approx 750 bits/s or 9,600 bits/s (depending on the microphone)
- Outputs: 2x SUB-D 25, AES/EBU (AES3) data format, Yamaha® and Tascam® pinout, 1x Toslink, ADAT® format up to 48 kHz, 1x RJ 45, GN format up to 192 kHz, power-out pin: approx. +15 VDC, max.1 A, short-circuit-proof
- Sampling rates supported: 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz/176.4 kHz/192 kHz
- Microphone synchronization: AES42 – Mode 2 (synchronous mode) microphone clock control via PLL
- DMI-8 Synchronization : automatically to an external word clock or AES11 signal, if present, otherwise the internal word clock generator is activated
- Word clock (or AES11) input: BNC
- Vin: >100 mV at 75 ohms
- Word clock (or AES11) output BNC
- Internal word clock generator: 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz/176.4/192 kHz, Accuracy ±25 ppm
- Indicators: Power, ext word clock, valid, level (microphone)
- Control elements: 8x channel select GAIN +/–
- Control bus: 2 x RJ 45 ports; connection to computer USB port via the Neumann USB 485 interface converter; connected in parallel for the purpose of cascading, RS 485 with additional power-out pin (approx. +11.3 V, max. 500 mA)
- Device address (ID): 0 to 15, adjustable viacoding switch on the back of the device
- User port: 9-pin sub-D, 1 switch function per channel (Mute and/or Light 1/Light 2 selectable)
- Power supply: 90 V to 240 V; 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption: < 55 VA
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) 483 x 88 x 210 mm
- Weight: approx. 2.8 kg