The Modern Audio MAD-Max brings a new level of performance to active near-field monitors. Starting from the ground up allowed Modern Audio Designs to design the features they believed would make the MAD-Max superior to anything else you've heard before.
The cabinet is constructed from differing thicknesses of high grade MDF and heavily damped with bituminous panels to reduce cabinet resonances while the front baffle is contoured to reduce reflections. The exponential tweeter loading provides a high sound pressure level gain in the lower high frequency range, which discharges the tweeter. In addition, the focus and the coupling to the bass driver are improved, as a result of the sound generation planes move closer together.
- Tweeter: Optimally shaped 27mm silk diaphragm, efficient neodymium magnet system with rear chamber, low viscosity ferofluid for cooling of the voice coil, aluminum heat-sink for increased power handling
- Bass Driver: Dynaweave composite cone, large roll surround with radial reinforcement – NeoBase magnet system resulting in excellent bass performance, acoustically transparent NdFeB compact magnet system. Heavy copper rings mounted above and below the pole piece to reduce distortion and increase overload margin
- Balanced analog connections
- Full differential input
- 50KOhm impedance
- Genuine Neutrik connector
- MAD-Link: for future expansion and control
- VESA Compatible: VESA type D compatible display mount
- Amplification: Dual 180W switching N channel MOSFET amplifiers incorporating over current and over voltage as well as DC protection circuitry ensure plenty of headroom for even the most demanding of mixes
- In house designed DSP core operates in a 56bit double precision mode for all filtering processes
- 24bit A-D and D-A convertors coupled with high speed precision Op-Amps ensure there is no limiting in audio bandwidth
- All clock signals are provided by a precision CMOS Crystal Oscillator reducing peak to peak jitter
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 17" x 8 3/8" x 10 3/4"
- Weight: 28.6lbs
- Frequency Response: 35Hz-25kHz +/- 5db
- Power Consumption:
- Idle: 60W
- Typical: 600W
- Maximum: 800W
- Crossover Point: 3kHz
"Like most other producer/engineer/mixers, I NEVER stop checking out the competition while in search of the best gear possible. I have NEVER, EVER heard a self-powered monitor that I could ever totally relax with, trust or enjoy. I have listened to literally hundreds of setups in the 22+ years I have worked on my beloved system and have never heard ANYTHING meet or beat it.
Seven years into the project, Richard Gerberg and Graeme Bridge (of Modern Audio Design) asked me if they could come up to my studio and audition these MAD MAX Monitors in a professional working environment. We began by A/B testing multiple genres of music from numerous projects over the years with which I am intimately familiar.
It was immediately apparent that they were really on to something this time! The extended width and height were immediately apparent to me as was a beautiful clarity and extension into the deep and warm bass as well as the icing zone of the uppermost frequencies. The build of these speakers is TRULY impressive. Great quality inside and out. Their brand new and custom designed drivers and paper thin cone material are things of beauty!
All I can say is, without hesitation or reservation of any sort, these are the ONLY self-powered, near-field monitors in existence that I would happily record and mix on! These MAD MAX speakers are a real testament to inspiration, belief in self and unwavering commitment to a specific goal from both Graeme and Richard. I commend them highly for their efforts and can say no more than the truth I have heard with my very own ears."
Ron Saint Germain, Producer/Mixer