The Mesanovic Microphones Model 2S is a passive stereo ribbon microphone utilizing the same design features found in the Model 2. The Model 2S uses two matched ribbon motors angled at 90 degrees to each other to create a Blumlein configuration. It uses the same motors and transformers found in our Model 2. The motors feature a very short front to back path length along with our custom designed resonator plates. These features give the Model 2S the same unique sonic character found in our Model 2: an incredibly extended and detailed high end, classic smooth ribbon midrange, an open and transparent low end, and an amazingly quick transient response. A custom designed toroidal transformer provides extremely low distortion, low noise, and 3D like sound.
The Model 2S captures stunning stereo recordings with ease. Whether you are using the Model 2S in a Blumlein or M-S stereo configuration, the microphone's uniform polar frequency response and excellent off-axis frequency response will provide you with outstanding phase coherent stereo recordings. Solid phase compatibility between the two channels of the Model 2S also allows the user to combine the two channels into a mono recording without any phase artifacts. The microphones slim body and simple isolation mount make it easier than ever to position. Its matte black anodized finish also helps to reduce visibility in live recording situations.
The beauty of the Model 2S is its ability to capture incredible 3D like recordings that will make you feel like you are in the room with the performers. Its beautifully balanced and extended frequency response greatly reduces the need for post equalization. The Model 2S shines on orchestral and choral recordings. It will have you hearing drum overheads and room recordings like never before. The Model 2S will easily become your favorite on string sections, horn sections, piano, acoustic guitar, and so much more.
The Model 2S is covered by a lifetime warranty on parts and a free re-ribboning for the original owner within two years of purchase.
Why it sounds amazing
- An all original one of a kind ribbon motor construction providing an extremely wide and balanced frequency response (20-20 kHz and beyond).
- The furthest reaching high end frequency response of any ribbon on the market adding “air” to your recordings in a natural way, without added electronics.
- Incredibly extended low end response that is tight, defined, and controlled.
- Open, transparent, natural sound with incredible depth and detail.
- Custom made toroidal transformer that is perfectly matched to the ribbon providing low noise and low distortion.
- Lifetime warranty on parts and a 2 year ribbon replacement warranty.
- Completely handcrafted with extreme attention to quality in Detroit, MI.
In the Box
Model 2S, plastic molded case, isolation mount, protective pouch, and a 10 foot 5-pin XLR female to dual 3-pin XLR male breakout cable
- Directional Pattern: Dual Figure 8
- Frequency Range: 20-20 kHz and beyond
- Sensitivity: -53.2 dB (2.2 mV/Pa)
- Noise Floor: <17 dBA
- Max SPL: 140dB SPL
- Ribbon Element: Dual ribbons orientated at 90 degrees
- Material: Pure Aluminum
- Thickness: 1.8 microns
- Length: 2 in
- Width: 0.23 in
- Height: 11.6 in
- Diameter: 1.25 in
- Weight: 340g
Reviews and Testimonials
"The Mesanovic Model 2 is a very fine microphone that stands comparison with any capacitor or dynamic that I can think of. Its performance is exemplary by any standards, making it suitable for almost all studio situations."
"A very fine microphone whose sonic capabilities demonstrate just how good a modern ribbon designs can be. Highly recommended."
"Big, smooth, warm and highly detailed overall sound."
- Sound on Sound, February, 2016
"I love the Model 2 on brass and drum room mics. The top end is warm and not brittle at all. It was great to record a trumpet legend on this microphone. The results were incredible..."
- Todd Fairall, Grammy Award Winning Engineer & Producer (Common, The Roots, The Clark Sisters, Bob Seger, Mary J. Blige)
"I used the Model 2 on trombone for Kem's latest album with great results. A very clear, warm, wonderful sounding microphone."
- Eric Morgeson, Grammy Nominated Engineer & Producer (Kem, Aretha Franklin, Ron Isley, Fred Hammond)
"The Model 2 is very popular on electric guitar and users hear the bright top end that cuts through nicely in a track. Gotta love that!"
- Rolff Zwiep, Blackbird Studio Manager, Nashville, TN
"The Model 2 sounded exactly as I hoped - open, honest and all around perfect for what I asked it to do. On electric and acoustic guitars, as a room mic for drums and even a vocal.. All in all a great microphone.."
- Vance Powell, Grammy Award Winning Engineer & Producer (Jack White, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, Buddy Guy, Kings of Leon)
"When I started to use the Model 2, I used it mainly as a room mic on drums, it worked fantastic for this. By now I use it on a variety of sources, like electric guitars, acoustic instruments, percussion etc.. It's a nice open mic with a very natural sound."
- Michael Wagener, Producer, Recording & Mix Engineer (Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Skid Row, Alice Cooper, Dokken)
“The Model 2 is exactly what I’ve been looking for in a ribbon mic - balanced and open with great depth and top end clarity. It gives me what I need every time I use it. I love it on drum overheads, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar.”
- Al Sutton, Producer & Engineer (Kid Rock, Uncle Kracker, Pop Evil, Hank Williams Jr.)
"My experience with the Model 2S stereo ribbon mic was absolutely mind-blowing the first time I used it as an overhead on my drum kit. In fact, there was no need for anything else but the 2S to capture the entire kit!"
- Nir Z, World-renowned Studio Session Drummer (Genesis, John Mayer, Blake Shelton, Jason Mraz, Chris Cornell)