The Manley Laboratories Backbone Mastering Insert Switcher is built with a unique electronic topology that maintains a fully balanced signal path through 95% of the console. All other designs require the balanced signals to be converted to unbalanced before sections that, for example, allow you to boost or cut level, then inversely need to be converted back to balanced to feed the outside world. In other words, this new topology not only does it in one stage rather than 3 or 4, but also does it as cleanly and quietly as any single stage that we know of, including fully discrete approaches. This topology also provides better common mode rejection and power supply rejection than conventional approaches. This is significant especially in the “Sum-Difference” functions.
Each of the 10 gain blocks and all of the switches are on connectors, which means, if the need ever arises for service, it can likely be done quickly without the need for a technician or soldering iron – just a medium-small Philips screwdriver. No expense was spared in the quality of the parts, so one should expect many years of continuous professional use.
Please note that this is not a “Monitor Control Box.” It is simply a device that helps route various analog processors with maximum fidelity or allows you to maintain the shortest possible signal path while providing some flexible central control functions. This unit is not supposed to color your sound in the least; it just exists to let you use your favorite outboard gear in more creative ways.
Manley Backbone Features:
- 3 x Inputs
- 8 x Inserts
- Balanced signal path all the way
- Left - Right Reverse
- Absolute Polarity Reverse
- Bypass GAINS makes passive signal path
- Over 90 nice relays
- Lotsa pretty EAO switch buttons that you can easily custom label
- 4 x 24 position Grayhill switch attenuators for INPUT and OUTPUT GAINS
- MID - SIDE (MS Matrix) for Inserts 2 & 3
- SWAP order button for Inserts 4 & 5
- MIX - FADE injection between 7 & 8
- Expensive Penny & Giles rotary fader/mixer
- Available with ELCO or DB25 I/O connection system